I recently had otoplasty done. Is this skin necrosis? (Photo)

I recently had otoplasty around 2 weeks ago. I am a smoker and smoked the day before surgery as i did not know that i shouldnt but have not smoked since the surgery. A few days after the surgery a bluish mark appeared on my ear (which was not there the first few days after surgery) and then turned reddish and started to kind of dry up (as in the picture). It has stayed the same size. Is this considered skin necrosis? Is it something to worry about? Will it fade or fall off? Scar?

Possible Skin Necrosis After Otoplasty

+2
It is difficult to tell from your photographs whether you have skin necrosis or not.  You need to follow up with your surgeon to assess the situation.  I would worry about it until the surgeon tells you is okay-it could be a full thickness loss or simply a blister.

OTOPLASTY

+2
From the photograph, it is difficult to say with certainty what is happening to that area.  It does look quite suspicious for skin necrosis, given its appearance and the risk posed by smoking.  I would schedule a follow up appointment with your surgeon as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

You would benefit from visiting your surgeon for your concerns about your left ear after otoplasty surgery.

+2
Based on your photo, you need assistance from your surgeon. The scab on your ear may benefit from delicate debridement by your doctor. This may aid in would healing, and alleviate concerns of necrosis or infection.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

I recently had otoplasty done. Is this skin necrosis?

+2
HalloFb123. It’s not clear in the photo whether it really is skin necrosis or a blood blister. If it’s the latter, then it doesn’t require any special treatment as blood blisters under the skin always disappear by themselves. If it should be skin necrosis, then I’d recommend you applying Diprogenta ointment twice daily until it has healed. I would advise you to ask a skin specialist or your surgeon to confirm the diagnosis.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Skin necrosis

+1
It looks in the photo and by your history to be skin necrosis. Whether or not this will be just superficial with blistering or deeper with scarring will only be known with time. Your surgeon needs to be aware of this NOW.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Skin Necrosis

+1
Thank you for your question. It is very difficult to determine from these photos unfortunately. A hands on examination is necessary to make such a diagnosis. Have you followed up with your treatment provider? You are at a higher risk level for skin necrosis if you smoke and should avoid it as much as possible as smoking complicates nearly any surgical procedure by restricting oxygen flow to healing areas.

Daniel Shapiro, MD