I Recently Had Filler, Two Weeks Later Open Wound at Injection Site, What Should I Do?

I had filler injected on my smile lines and two weeks later what started as a red lump turned into an open wound, it won't go away...suggestions?

You should consult your doctor immediately regarding an open wound 2 weeks after an Injectable Filler treatment.

+1

I read your concern. If you had a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler treatment, you may be sufferring from an infection (biofilm formation), or possibly necrosis of the area from blood-vessel occlusion. Examples like this were presented at 7th annual multi-specialty symposium. Las Vegas. 6/24/2011 @ 515pm.

You should visit your doctor, or visit an expert in HA injections, for proper evaluation and management as soon as possible.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler injection complications

+1

This is due to a reaction to the filler similar to an allergic reaction and/or decreased blood flow to the affected skin (injection into or right next to the blood vessel). Your options now are proper wound care so it heals as quickly as possible with scar revision later if needed vs. surgery now to remove devitalized tissue and surgical closure of the wound. Without a photo or physical examination it is impossible to say which option is best.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD