Recently Had Colonospy, Dr.said He Experienced Bradycardia While I Was Under. Need Facelift and Eyes, Scared to Be Put Under?

Facelift Eyelids, lower and upper

Bradycardia during colonoscopy. Is Facelift safe?

+2

Bradycardia alone, is not necessarily a medical problem.  Sometimes the heart rate is slow in healthy people.  You could certainly have your heart evaluated before any surgery to determine if you have a problem or not.  It is also possible to perform facelift and eyelid surgery with IV sedation rather than with a general anesthesia.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bradycardia and Facelift

+2

A preop ekg and evaluation by an internist or cardiologist seems indicated in your case,and would also give you peace of mind in proceding with these procedures. I often perform facelift and eyelids under twilight sedation, which is quite safe.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bradycardia experienced during colonoscopy is not a contraindication to a facelift.

+2

Swelling of the heart rate during colonoscopy is not terribly unusual and is referred to as a "vagal" response. After your bowel prep you are probably dehydrated which makes you more susceptible to this. If your heart and lungs are okay there is no contraindication to facelift.

Medical evaluation prior to facelift often helpful

+2

Colonoscopy may cause bradycardia, slowing of the heart by causing what is known as a vasovagal reflex from stimulation of the colon.  To be safe I would ask your internist or cardiologist to make sure that there's not another cause and that you be safe to undergo a facelift.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Bradycardia

+2

The bradycardia may be related to the colonoscopy. I would consult an anesthesioloist before your procedure is scheduled. You may need a quick check up before you schedule your procedure. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and eye surgery

+2

If you had an epsisode of bradycardia, you might want to be checked out by a cardiologist prior to your surgery if you want a facelift.

Face lift and slow heart beat

+2

Thank you for your question about having a face lift because your heart slowed during colonoscopy. You should -

• Get the anesthesia records for the colonoscopy.
  • Consult a cardiologist for a cosmetic surgery clearance, take the anesthesia records.
  • Chances are your slow heart rate was from positioning or sedation.
  • Once cleared, you can see a Board Certified Plastic surgeon for your face lift and eye lid lifts - remember general anesthesia today is safer than intravenous sedation.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Will Bradycardia lead to a Problem with Anesthesia

+2

Some patients do experience bradycardia during sedation. Before considering general anesthesia, you should first check with your internist and/or see a cardiologist to determine if your bradycardia is benign or an indicator of other cardiac problems. If it is determined to be benign, you are actually in a better situation having your procedure under general anesthesia since the anesthesiologist will be able to use medications to speed up your heart rate if it should get too low during surgery.

Donald Griffin, MD

Safe Facelift, Eyes With Bradycardia

+2

A slow heart rate has a few different causes.  Before scheduling surgery your plastic surgeon will likely send you for a consultation with your medical doctor or a cardiologist.  Once the cause of the bradycardia is clear then you can get a good idea of the risks and make an informed decision.  Most of the time the bradycardia is not an issue if your heart is healthy.  Best of luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD

Facelift under anesthesia

+2

If you have any concerns about general anesthesia then find a surgeon who can perform your procedures under local anesthesia; I exclusively perform my cosmetic procedures under local anesthesia and my patients are very comfortable and appreciate not having to go 'under'. Research for surgeons that can do this. If you would prefer general anesthesia, your surgeon can discuss how this would affect your bradycardia and if you would need a medical clearance prior to the procedure. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS