Recently Had Breast Augmentation and Already Want to Go Bigger, How Long Do I Have to Wait Before Going Again?

Breast augmentation

Sizing

+1

Larger is not always better. Sometimes changing the shape will change the look also.If the sizing is correct then I would stick to what you have. Otherwise I would wait at least 6-9 months prior to an exchange

Timing of replacement breast augmentation with larger implants

+1

In reconstructive plastic surgery this is sort of like asking how long after a breast reconstruction tissue expander is fully expanded before replacing it with the permanent implant. The answer is that the tissues have to fully recover and adjust to the expansion so that the result can be fully evaluated and the replacement will be stable. When putting a larger implant in, the tissues are being asked to expand further and this is not a good idea if they haven't recovered fully from the first procedure. Three months is a minimum for tissue resolution. 

Keep in mind that if the first implant was properly sized and positioned and the tissues fully adjusted, the only options for a larger implant are increasing the profile (forward volume) if the initial implant was not already a high profile . The tissues will tolerate an increase from low or medium to high profile but there is no way to go up if the existing implant is already high profile. The width or diameter of the implant can't be increased much without stretching and distorting the tissues around the breast (and risking problems like symmastia). This is usually only about 1 1/2 cm of increased diameter and probably less if the capsule is still not fully softened and settled. As in a first time procedure, it is not reasonable to pick a number of cc's and make it "fit" any more than one can pick a dress or shoe size and make it work. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Wait six months before switching to the larger implant size after breast augmentation.

+1

If the result you have with the original breast augmentation is good I would strongly advise you against putting in larger implants. The second go my result in capsular contracture or some unwanted side effect.

Wait 6 months

+1

It is rare that I change the size of implants. I believe that everyone has an ideal fill volume and this is largely based on the diameter of the patient's chest. If the proper implant is chosen initially then you can't really go bigger because the implant won't fit on the chest and will spill out laterally into the arm pit area. This discussion should be had with your PS and hopefully everything will work out. Best of luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Going Bigger after Breast Augmentation

+1

In general, most plastic surgeons recommend that patients wait at least 3-6 months to go bigger after breast augmentation. This allows for the swelling to subside and the surrounding tissues to relax. It also allows for the implant to descend and the capsule around the implant to stabilize. This approach will allow for more accurate implant selection in the second surgery. Please discuss this with your surgeon or see  a board certified plastic surgeon for further advise. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Going bigger after breast augmentation

+1

In general, I recommend that patients wait 3-6 months to go bigger after breast augmentation. This allows for the swelling to subside and the tissues to soften up. I also allows for the implant to descend and the capsule around the implant to form. Sometimes, you can also see mild asymmetries between breast sizes after the swelling is gone. This will allow for more accurate implant selection in the second surgery. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Moises Salama, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

If you want to go bigger you should probably wait 3-4 months for the swelling to go away and for the breasts to soften.

3 Months Before Revision Breast Augmentation

+1

In general, most plastic surgeons would not revise a breast augmentation for larger implants until at least 3 months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Timing to Go Bigger after Breast Augmentation?

+1

From the technical standpoint, once you are a few weeks out of the procedure, there is no specific timeframe that it is necessary to wait before proceeding with re  augmentation surgery.

You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients during the early stages of recovery of breast augmentation will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too  small.
 I routinely ask my patients  to wait at least 3-6 months before   evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery.  This waiting time allows patients to (uaually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.  

There are both physiological and “psychological” reasons to wait on having  revisionary surgery. From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. Factors such as swelling,  tissue contraction,  skin redraping,  implant shifting etc. come into play.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period"  during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about.  Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.

Obviously, it is best for patients not to be making important decisions ( for example about the results of surgery and/or the need for additional surgery) while they are experiencing these emotional “ups and downs”.

How Long Do I Have to Wait Before Going Again

+1

From the technical point of view, it matters little. What surgeons don't want is for their patients to make impulsive decisions. Many of us have found out that with a waiting period of three months, many patients become content with the size. I have had a couple of patients over the years cancel the morning of surgery in the preop room. 

Discuss the particulars with your own surgeon.All the best.