Should I Have Received Ultherapy Before Losing Weight?

I just had ultherapy treatment on my face and noticed some tightening in my jowl area after treatment. My doctors said I should expect tightening in the next few months. I had this done while overweight, around at around 200lbs. Will I lose this tightening if I drop to my normal wt of 165lbs?

Ulthera and Weight Loss

+2

While you will not lose the benefit of Ultherapy, loss of weight can contribute to deflation in the face (less fat may lead to changes in facial contours and looser skin or sagging). Much depends on skin elasticity, the ability of the skin to maintain tone as the face "shrinks" with the weight loss.

No one can predict for you how your jowls will look with the weight loss, but you will not lose the benefit of the skin and deeper tightening of the Ultherapy.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Loss of weight and its effect on ultherapy

+1

Volume of the face might help support tissues and as fat loss of the deeper part of the face occurs, there may be sagging, lowering of the jowls, more prominent smile creases, the corners of the mouth and marionette lines may appear deeper.  After the weight loss, even though you had lifting with ultherapy, you might be a candidate for fat injections to the face to replenish the youthful volume. The Ultherapy-induced collagen production and the tightening of the connective tissue won't be affected, unless you consume an unhealthy diet while trying to lose weight.  You want to ensure that you are not depleting your body of vitamin C and collagen during dieting as your facial structures need this to respond well to the Ultheapy even months later as new collagen is being produced.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ultherapy treatment not effected by weight loss.

+1

Losing weight will not undo the effect of the Ultherapy treatment.  It is important to realize that losing weight will effect the appearance of the face and the appearance of wrinkles.  Fat acts as a filler in the face.  People with more facial fat tend to have less wrinkles.  Loss of the volume of this fat then will tend to accentuate lines and wrinkles.

Ultherapy stimulates new collagen formation and the reorganization of existing collagen.  The effects of Ultherapy will be present even after weight loss though you may feel as though the effect of Ultherapy has diminished because the volume of fat is no longer filling out the wrinkles as much.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon