How Can I Tell if I Received Lipo on the Abodomen with my Tummy Tuck?

I was scheduled for a tummy tuck yesterday as well as lipo in the tummy. I was put to sleep before they marked my body for the procedure. The results are wonderful but how can I tell I really received lipo? I didn't meet up with the surgeon after the fact. I only saw the anestheologist and the nurses who said I would be called for a pre-op. Is there any signs I should be looking for because I paid for lipo but don't see any signs of it. I really don't know what I'm looking for far as clues. Help

Liposuction with tummy tuck

+2

I can't imagine performing surgery on a patient without seeing them and possibly marking them before going into the operating room. After surgery, it is not uncommon for the patient not to see the surgeon immediately and sometimes even if they do they can't remember. Still, you should see your surgeon soon and ask all of your questions. If you are still unsure, you can request your medical records. The details of your procedure will be in those. As for signs, you may be able to see bruising and feel pain in the areas suctioned.

Tummy Tuck and Lipo

+2

It is very strange that you were put to sleep without seeing the surgeon and without having the marks placed.  The markings are very important and also give you an additional time to review the surgery with your surgeon.  If you had lipo outside the areas of your tummy tuck, then you may see some bruising or have a little discomfort or swelling in those areas.  Alternatively, you can also ask for the operative report and read exactly what was done during surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction during Tummy Tuck?

+1

Your description of the events before surgery is unusual.

At this point, you will likely need to wait  to discuss the exact procedure performed with your plastic surgeon on follow-up. I don't think that you need to be “looking for any clues”.

Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Lipo or not with tummy tuck?

+1

Regardless of what actually occurred, your description of events certainly seems strange. Markings are usually done before the patient receives anesthesia or sedation of any kind, so that the patient can be upright for the markings. Things change substantially when lying down, so perhaps your pre-operative medication caused you to "forget" this step. This is actually common with some anesthesia drugs such as Midazolam or Diazepam.

You should be seeing your surgeon for a post-op recheck soon; just ask your surgeon! You trusted his or her credentials and training enough to have surgery, so you should trust your surgeon to give you straight answers to your questions!

Fortunately, you say your early results are "wonderful" so it sounds as if your result is in line with your expectation. Your question would have much more ominous overtones if you said you couldn't see a good result or if you were unhappy. Talk to your surgeon, who has all the information you seek. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

I agree with my colleagues that it is quite peculiar that you were not seen by the surgeon prior to the surgery. It gives time for the surgeon and you to go over the surgical plan and make final adjustments. Additionally, patients must be marked in the upright position, as body parts change shape and position when the body is in recumbent position. Sure, you can find some local signs of surgery, such as bruising, swelling, or redness of the area, but the only way to be certain is to find the surgeon and ask, or ask for the operative report or dictation and read for yourself exactly what was done. Hope this helps. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD