I received a head butt to my nose during a soccer game and now I can't breath through one nostril and I get pain aches? (photo)

What can I do? Is it possible to fix?

Poor nasal airflow after trauma to the nose

+2

Based on your photo, there appears to be a slight curvature to your nose. If your nose used to be straight prior to the head butt, then you may have suffered a nasal fracture along with the development of a deviated septum. If your injury is relatively recent, the nasal fracture could be elevated and reduced by an ENT or Plastic Surgeon to straighten your nose. A deviated septum may require a surgery called a septoplasty to improve airflow. Thank you for sharing your photo and questions. Best wishes.

+1

Easy to diagnose as a closed nasal/septal fracture causing airway obstruction from the deviated septum. Only surgery will correct.///

I received a head butt to my nose during a soccer game and now I can't breath through one nostril and I get pain aches?

+1

Pain can be expected to last up to a week following nasal trauma. With regard to the breathing problem this could be temporary, due to swelling, or permanent, due to fractures in the bone and cartilage of the nose. Surgery is typically required for improvement in any long-standing nasal obstruction following an injury. The procedure is typically a septorhinoplasty that involves straightening the cartilage, opening the nasal airway and in some cases, adding support to the collapsing nose. I hope my answer is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken Nose and Blocked Airway

+1

Thank you for the question and the picture. If your nose was broken, the bone and cartilage structure that keep the airway open may have collapsed in part. This can be treated without major surgery if it is addressed quickly (within a few days). After that time, the fracture will heal in the abnormal configuration, and a surgical procedure is needed to reshape the broken bones and realign the cartilages. You should seek an evaluation with a Board Certified specialist in person. Best of luck moving forward.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Change in breathing after trauma

+1

If your nose was fracture and airway obstruction occurred then you may need sugey to correct this. Best to be evaluated in person.

Nasal obstruction after injury

+1

Sorry to hear about your injury. Depending on how long ago the trauma happened, the obstruction may be due to swelling or displaced nasal bones or septum. You should probably be evaluated by a qualified surgeon soon to make sure corrective surgery is not needed before the nasal bones heal incorrectly. The pain should gradually resolve over the next few weeks. Good luck!

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficulty Breathing through the nose

+1

This is a common symptom following trauma to the nose. It is possible that the bones may have fractured or that the septum (which divides the nose into two sides) is crooked. The best thing to do would be to get an in-person consultation to determine what the underlying anatomic cause is and then address it. Please consult with a head and neck surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD