Can I Receive Someone Else's Hair for Hair Transplant?

or can get hair from somewhere else other than my scalp? This is for my sideburns and not sure I want my hair's scalp as sideburns! thanks.

Yes, but don't know anyone to do it for you

+2

Just like any other organ transplant, hair can be transplanted from one person to another. This would require the same genetic testing. In fact, it has been done between a bone marrow donor and recipient with success.

I do not know of any hair transplant surgeon who would have the ability to do this. Alternatively you can use your own body hair. However, scalp hair is a better match for the side burns.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Someone Else's Hair for Transplant

+1
Hi there, and thanks for your intriguing question. This would certainly be an interesting procedure, but unfortunately the risk of rejection is too high to justify undergoing the procedure. Rejection occurs when the body's immune system identifies a foreign body and attempts to protect the body from harm. Although the recipients of lifesaving transplanted organs are prescribed immunosuppressive drugs to prevent rejection, the side effects and lifelong commitment are not appropriate for cosmetic surgery. For now, the best hair transplant results come from using the patient's own hair from a similar area of the body.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Hair Transplant Donors

+1

To answer your first question - no.  Unfortunately, hair transplants will need to be from your own scalp or area with hair growth.  Your body would reject anyone else's hair.  To your second question - yes.  Hair can be taken from somewhere else on your body when using Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) technique.  The donor hair would need to resemble the texture of your side burns to yield a more natural result.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Donor Hair For Hair Transplant Using Beard Hair Follicles

+1

This is a good question that many people wonder about. Hair follicles from someone else are very likely to be rejected by your immune system. Your immune system is designed to recognize protein that is not yours. And this forms the basis for attacks.

Beard hair follicles taken from your face can be inserted as a good match for your side burns. The results would be permanent.

Here is a video of a patient who received a beard hair transplant for his head. This has information that you may be interested in if you are thinking about using follicles from your facial area.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair transplant donor site options

+1

First of all, only an individual’s own hair can be used, unless there is an identical twin. Second, in the occasional patient, the donor hairs can be from some area other than the scalp, including the chest and beard region. However, these donor body areas are generally less reliable and therefore not used nearly as often as scalp hairs.

As a surgeon who does more than 100 of these facial hair procedures every year, it is been my experience that scalp hair in fact is an excellent match for beard and sideburn hairs, and if is just the sideburns, typically no more than 200 of so grafts are indicated per side.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants from Another Individual

+1

You can possibly receive hair transplants from another individual only if that person is an identical twin. Immunosuppressive drugs are too dangerous to justify their use in cosmetic surgery. Scalp hair is effectively used to create sideburns.

Using someone else's hair to transplant.

+1

No, not with today's technology. You would have to be on immunosuppressants with the problems that go with that. Cloning will probably come along before that.