Receding chin on a seventeen year old female - Candidate to repair? (Photo)

I'm just hoping to get an opinion on this, I really dislike my receding chin, and I was wondering if I would be an okay candidate for having it repaired. (I don't remember the actual term for it)

Receding chin on a seventeen year old female - Candidate to repair?

+1
   If you have reached skeletal maturity, a chin implant can be placed and will help your profile.

You are a good candidate

+1
Whether you would benefit best from an implant, or moving the bone forward (genioplasty or orthognathic surgery) will be determined when you consult with a physician with experience in this area.  Regardless, your appearance can be improved. 

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Receding chin for 17-year-old

+1
Chin augmentation with a Silastic chin implant is a common procedure when patients have a recessive chin. The implants are inserted through a sub mental approach under local anesthesia. 

17 Year Old Chin Surgery

+1
Since you are a minor, your parents must weigh in on any diagnosis or treatment, but generally someone with the amount of chin recession similar to you has several options.  A chin implant, a sliding genoiplasty or a mandibular advancement.  No one can tell just by looking at your picture.  A surgeon skilled in chin and jaw diagnosis and management can advise you accurately..

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery

Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

+1
Yes, you do have a recessed chin and would most definitely benefit from a chin implant.  Yes, you are a candidate.  When performed by a surgeon with experience, this procedure is quick and easy.  The recovery is fast.  The incision is small and under your chin.

Recessed chin and surgery

+1
I agree with you that your chin is too small.  I would be interested to see how your teeth fit together.  I would speculate that you may be a candidate for formal jaw surgery to move your chin and teeth into a more normal appearing and functional position.  Given your age, you are at a good time in your life to begin this process.

Hope this helps.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS