Receded Chin, Avoiding Maxillofacial Surgery, What other Options Do I Have? (photo)

I have a noticeable receded chin that I wish I could do something about. I've looked into getting a chin implant for quite a while. The problem is, with my present facial features, a typical implant placement would elongate my face. I rather have delicate feminine features. A dentist once suggested that get maxillofacial surgery to correct my gummy smile. I looked into it and it's too expensive and traumatic to go through for cosmetic reasons alone. I'd appreciate suggestions.

Doctor Answers (1)

Bony Genioplasty Will Bring Chin Forward And Shorten It


You are a classic example of needing a sliding bony genioplasty. This will not only bring the chin bone forward but will vertically shorten it as well. You are largely correct in assuming that a chin implant that can add enough horizontal increase will be bulky and make the chin longer as well. (unless a custom chin implant design is done) Perhaps ideally you need bimaxillary orthognathic surgery to change both the maxillary and mandibular bone positions but, short of that, a bony genioplasty will do a good job of camouflaging the underlying maxillofacial bone problem while providing a good cosmetic improvement.

Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.