What Do You Reccomend in a Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I'm considering a rhinoplasty procedure and I have tons of questions to ask. My nose has a very wide tip and when I smile, my nostrils flare out a lot. So these are my questions:

1.Open or closed procedure? What are the benefits?

2.I am interested in narrowing the tip greatly, but can it still look natural?

3.narrowing the span of the nostrils: should I be worried about having a pinched result? I want it to look as natural as possible

4.Osteotomies? I desire a more defined bridge

Specific recommendations for rhinoplasty

+1

A rhinoplasty operation is done for a variety of reasons, to sculpt, change and refine the nasal bones and tip cartilages. A very wide tip is narrowed with suturing techniques to the tip cartilages along with an occasional removal of some cartilage when needed. Flaring nostrils are adjusted through an alar plasty incision at the floor of the nose, then by removing 3-4 mm of skin at the base of the nostrils. This can all be done through a closed rhinoplasty procedure, which will give a shorter healing time. It is important that your surgeon has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries to make the nose look natural that you can still breathe out of it properly. In addition, any hump removal and any nasal sidewall narrowing can be performed at the same time.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

What Do You Recommend in a Rhinoplasty?

+1

Good questions to ask your prospective surgeon in person.  While doing a little homework and learning about the procedure is fine, you can not and should not get consults online. 

Ramtin Kassir, MD Facial Plastic Surgeon NY, NJ

Rhinoplasty recommendations for Wide nostrils & Bulbous Tip

+1

Hi Katherine1904,

Narrowing a bulbous tip is a common rhinoplasty request, after reducing a hump. Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but rather many potential operations. Tip rhinoplasty typically involves reducing the volume of nasal cartilage at the tip, in addition to bringing the cartilage together with stitches. For patients with thick skin, a small portion of deep tissue may be removed to thin the skin. Cartilage grafts are commonly placed to augment the tip and help in narrowing. Nostril narrowing requires removal of a small amount of skin at the junction of the nose and upper lip, which may be performed at the time of intial rhinoplasty or planned for a few months afterward.

Rhinoplasty has many potential risks, including but not limited to excess narrowing, pinching, or asymmetry. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. It appears you may be at the early stages of your rhinoplasty research. Continue doing your research, and speak with some rhinoplasty surgeons in your area. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recommendations for Rhinoplasty

+1

You ask a lot of great questions, but don't provide enough information; it would be best to submit pictures. Even better, have consultations with experienced rhinoplasty surgeons

Choosing Your Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Aloha Katherine,

Your questions are very good and should be addressed to your prospective rhinoplasty surgeons at your consultations.  The most important aspect of your rhinoplasty is taking your time to interview, consult with, and choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  See the web reference below.  Good luck and be well.  Take a swim for me in your beautiful Hawaiian waters.

Dr. P

Web reference: http://www.drpersky.com/how-to-choose-a-rhinoplasty-surgeon/

Rhinoplasty

+1

WIithout seeing photos it is difficult to say. I prefer open in most cases becauase it allows for a better visualization of the underlying structures.  Narrowing the width is possible, and the tip can be refined without looking fake.  Osteotomies may not be necessary if you want to build up the dorsum.

Rhinoplasty

+1

You post great questions but no photos. Best to see in person a boarded surgeon in your area to ask ALL these questions. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Rhinoplasty for a nose.

+1

I would need to see photos of your nose to answer these questions. Noses vary and what is needed will vary as well.

What we do during a rhinoplasty

+1

To put together a plan for a patient's rhinoplasty requires seeing you in person so we can do a good exam and review with you your goals for the procedure.  But the points you have made are some very good ones:  in general, you can have a very nice result with either an open or closed rhinoplasty.  This really comes down to the experience of the surgeon and what they feel most comfortable with.  The options for changing the tip include suture techniques and either adding or removing cartilage, and the key is to refine the tip but still keep it looking natural--this can be done, but again it requires examining you first.  You can also narrow the nostrils as well if they looked flared, as well as perform osteotomies to complete the procedure.  What I would recommend is seeing a plastic surgeon (or more than one plastic surgeon) in your area with experience in rhinoplasty-- this will be the best way to get  a really good idea of the best procedure for you.

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com