Facelift to reattach muscle after facial implant removal?

I'm 33 years old and i had a mandible silicone implant removal two months ago. Now i'm looking for some procedures ( such as facelift ) to reattach my muscle back to its original position. This is how the doctor explained to the procedure "If you need immediate correction, I suggest intraoral approach to pull down the redundant skin onto the underlying muscle." What do you think of this procedure? Any opinion would be appreciated.

Facelift after facial implant removal

+2

There is a subset of patients who have significant facial sagging after removal or multiple revisions of facial implants.  They can appear dramatically older than their age.

In such patients, it is wise to design a procedure to completely resuspend the drooping areas.

Usually this is combined with augmenting volume as well.

Facelift not needed after facial implant removal

+1

The implant itself is placed usually in a periosteal pocket.  This has nothing to do with the facial muscles.  Once the implant is removed, the periosteal pocket collapses upon itself and there is no other surgery needed.  

Facelift after Removal of Mandibular Implant

+1

If there is laxity aqnd sagging of the skin and muscle after mandibular implant removal a facelift can be done. However, wait at least another 3-4 months to see if the stretched tissues contract which is possible in a young man like yourself. If you decide to have additional surgery I would not use the aapproach. 

Changes after Mandibular Implant Removal

+1

As mentioned in other responses, it is important to know what type of implant was placed, when it was placed, and the reasons for having it removed. There definitely will be some stretching and expansion of the skin and muscles over the implant. There may also be some loss of bone underneath where the implant was placed. Since you are young, you should have good elasticity which will improve the stretching of the muscles and skin. As for muscle reattachment, if the implant was placed beneath the muscles and covering of the bone, then by proper suturing (sewing) of the layers back together after implant removal, you should not need additional muscle tightening.

You may benefit from the use of fillers to add volume to any stretched skin/muscle, but I would wait at least 4-6 weeks after the implant removal to allow your skin to shrink back down before deciding.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need more information

+1

To decide what is needed, you have to provide several things

• Why was implant removed?
  • What is the status of your present dental occussion. overbite or normal bite.
  • how was the implant inserted as well as removed

Dr. Mayl

Fort lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Standard facelift would address sagged muscles

+1

I'd have to see photos to make specific comments but it's not unusual for post implant remoaval cases to undergo some type of Face Lift procedure to lift sagging tissue layers.  Not sure why an intra-oral approach was recommended because that typically lifts tissues up over the cheek area.  A standard Face Lift would address the sagged muscles of the upper and lower face/neck area.

Facelift after implant removal

+1

A little more information regarding exactly where you see a deficit would be helpful to better advise you.  Definitely once an implant is removed, the face may appear older due to both the lack in volume and the loss of attachments of different muscles.  A consultation with a facial plastic surgeon in your area would be helpgul.  Good luck!

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon