What Are the Reasons You Might Be Turned Away from a Tummy Tuck?

I have had 3 kids and have had this roll under my belly button for most of my life since I lost a large amount of weight as a teen. With my last child I also gained a small pouch above my belly button that time in the gym has not changed. I have been a stable weight of 200 for the last few years so I would like to just make the best of what I have. I am healthy, work out daily, and done having kids. Would a larger size alone make me an unacceptable patient?

Turned Away from a Tummy Tuck

+1

Weight alone will not disqualify you from a tummy tuck. However, weight may increase complications, reduce the satisfaction with the results, and increase the likelihood of revision. An in person exam and consultation will be necessary to determine if you are a candidate for the surgery.

Reasons you might be turned down for a tummy tuck.

+1

Your larger size along with a bad medical history of other diseases, use of cigarettes, previous clotting disorder or use of anticoagulants, unrealistic expectations, previous scars, keloid scarring, etc are just some reasons why you could be turned down for a tummy tuck,

Excluded from tummy tuck

+1

I don't see any real reason to absolutely exclude you from tummy tuck.  You didn't mention your weight, BMI, or other health histroy, including smoking.

You may want to seek another opinion.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Risk factors for complications with tummy tuck

+1

Surgeons may turn down patients for surgery if they feel the risk/benefit ratio tilts too far on the risk side. Factors contributing to increased risk for complications with a tummy tuck include being overweight, smoking, and history of blood clotting problems. As for weight, we use the life insurance tables to determine what the ideal is for the patient's height and body type, and if more than 10-20% above that we would consider the risk too high. The measure used most often is called "body mass index" or BMI, which should be less than 30, with the ideal less than 25.  

Richard Baxter, MD