Reason for Pain and Constant Discomfort in Breast?

August will be 2 years since I have had my breast augmentation. I chose silicone implants. Since then, my left breast has had painful sensations along with tingling, burning, itching, sharp pain in my nipple, and basically nonstop discomfort.

I have check with both my surgeon and general dr about this but neither seem to think it's a problem. I have had a mammogram/ultrasound done and both came back normal. I can't continue to live with this pain and constant worry about what could be wrong.

Breast pain after augmentation

+1
Lizzy
Sorry to hear your story. 
I am seeing more and more patients who come in with chronic pain after implants placed under the muscle.
They get an impressive immediate relief from moving the implant on top of the muscle.
It is something for you to consider.
Wishing you relief.

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
When people have pain after breast augmentation I get worried that they may have ruptured an implant so I always start with ordering an MRI

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

It is alway a challange treating pain

+1

2 years pain is not normal.  A reevaluation to identify the root cause with help.  If all else is normal, I would speculate that they may have been nerve injury.  While unpredicatalbe, it might be that you consider removal of your implant.  Unfortunately, there is no certainty in its effectiveness. 

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Pain 2 years after breast augmentation not normal

+1

Based on what you describe, you could be experiencing neuropathic pain (pain from a sensory nerve that is irritated or inflammed).  Its great that you already completed your mammogram.  If you have already visited with your plastic surgeon, you may want to consider seeing a pain management specialist for non-narcotic treatment.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Pain and Discomfort after Breast Augmentation

+1

Pain and discomfort after breast augmentation is common during the first few weeks and a month or two after the procedure. Occasionally some patients may experience increased sensitivity of the areolas because after the augmentation their nipples may stick out to a degree that it gets irritated, but this usually goes away a few months after surgery. If a patient continues to have discomfort and pain after several months following a breast augmentation. This also may be related, a situation called capsular contracture which may cause a hardness and deformity of the breast. Usually the final stage of capsular contracture is painful as well. 

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Pain in breast 2 years after breast implants

+1

Based on your symptoms it sounds like you have nerve pain due to a sensory nerve being stretched by your breast implant.  You should not have this type of pain 2 years after surgery. You may be able to get temporary relief with lidocaine injections, but you may need revisional surgery to address this problem.

I recommend you consult with your plastic surgeon or seek a second opinion for this issue.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD