Is There Any Reason to Leave Tissue Expanders in Alongside Gel Filled Implants?

I was told through a mri with dye that you could see the nipple of the expander. I thought i had those removed when my implants were put in.

Tissue Expander and Final Implant

+1

I can't see any reason to leave your tissue expander in place with your final silicone gel implant.  The "results" of your MRI sound a bit confusing.  Please visit with your reconstructive surgeon for clarification.

Breast tissue expanders are temporary and are always exchanged by Implants

+1

Although there may be cases in which a planned breast reconstruction is not completed and circumstances may preclude removal of a breast tissue expander, I cannot think of any possible way where a breast implant would be placed on top of it.

If there was enough space in the breast you would NOT have required expansion of the tissue. Since the skin is only expanded to the size of the expander, there is physically no room for another implant. Moreover, there is NO reason for doing so.

I am not quite sure who gave you the MRI results or why a MRI was done, but I would be much more suspect of the radiologist interpretation.

MRI and results after breast reconstruction

+1

The MRI results sound a bit stranger.  You should really review this with your surgeon. Tissue expanders are removed when final implants are placed for reconstruction.

Tissue expanders are typically removed when the implant goes in...

+1

Hi there-

I cannot imagine a situation where the expander would be left in at the time of permanent implant placement, nor can I think of a possibility where this would be in the best judgement of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.....

I think the most likely circumstance is that the radiologist who read your MRI was confused about what he/she was seeing....

I would take your films to your plastic surgeon for review and a better understanding of what is going on.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Reconstruction

+1

In breast reconstruction the expanders are removed and the implants are put in. you need to have the MRI reread Have a consultation with your plastic surgeon who should be able to shed some light on this problem.

Can not have the expander left in and an implant put over or under it