Reason for Significant Swelling Post Rhinoplasty (Done 5 Yrs Before) Involving Drastic Thinning of Bony Structure of Nose?

I had two rhinoplasties (5 and 10 yrs back) involving significant thinning of broad nasion by grasping of bones and now the the area between my eyes feels congested with fluid. My nose often swells up when an activity causes influx of blood to nose(warm weather, exercise etc). What could be the most suitable reason for that? I have consulted rhinoplasty surgeons and revision rhinoplasty is not an option.

Extensive Swelling 5 Years After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Sheena,

I am sorry that you are feeling uncomfortable with what is happening to you.

Recurrent swelling of your nose is not a normal situation. Several causes could be considered: Allergic reactions, blockages of multiple natures, infections, etc.

Nonetheless, I encourage to seek a consultation with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience in Rhinoplasty revisions as the possibility of corrective surgery could be the answer to your problem.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Myriad explanations for long term post rhinoplasty swelling

+1

As the other surgeons have remarked, this is an unusual situation. Swelling generally fully subsides 12-18 months after (revision) rhinoplasty. If indeed you are having fluctuating swelling, there are a myriad of explanations - impending implant extrusion/rejection, intranasal communication thru a bony defect perhaps in conjunction with chronic rhino sinusitis, lacrimal duct obstruction ... the list goes on. Bottom line - much of this could be determined by a thorough physical examination of the nose both internally and externally perhaps enhanced through fiber optic examination and maybe CT scanning.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too much swelling

+1

Five and Ten years recurrent nasal edema post-rhinoplasty is not normal.  Therefore, it is important to determine the cause of this swelling: chronic infection, lacrimal duct/sac blockage or compromise, nasal fracture or past trauma, diet, environment, allergies, weather, exercise, etc.  However, do not rule out corrective revision rhinoplasty if the cause of your problem is correctly diagnosed and can be corrected by surgery.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi,I think during one of the Rhinoplasty your nasolacrimal sac and the duct which are located in the area which swells up have b

+1

Hi,I think during one of the Rhinoplasty your lacrimal sac and the duct which are located in the area which swells up has been damaged and this is where the swelling appears .

I don't think much can be done accept to consult and ophthalmologist who may try canulation of the lacrimal duct in an attempt to open it.

Dr.Ashok Govila

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Swollen nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the question! The typical pattern of swelling after rhinoplasty is as follows. For the first 8-12 days, approximately 80% of the swelling resolves and the remaining tiny amount of swelling can take a year or longer to dissipate. Patients look quite presentable after this initial 8-12 days but the nose continues to look more refined over several months. I advise my patients to expect "good nose days" and "bad nose days" for the first 6-12 months and factors like salt intake, alcohol, flying, vigorous exercise, and warm weather can cause a temporary, slight increase in swelling. 

At five years out from your last surgery, I would not expect you to still have fluctuating swelling. This could represent a chronic infection of the nose. Did your last surgeon use any sort of synthetic implants (silicone, Gore Tex etc.)? You should have your nose evaluated by a revision rhinoplasty specialist. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Web reference: http://www.mehtaplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Swelling 5 years after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Slightly unusual to have fluctuant swelling 5 years after rhinoplasty. It makes me think that you have a an artificial implant that may be getting infected. If it continues you might want to ask your surgeon about that and consider a CT scan.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com/rhinoplasty-surgery-complications.htm