Realize Band Vs. Lap Band - What's the Difference?

Realize Band vs. Lap-Band

+2

Both bands function exactly the same.  The Lap-Band has been improved for a longer time in the USA.  Most of the bands placed in the USA are Lap-Band and not Realize.  I prefer to use the Lap-band in my patients because I think it is a better designed band.  The Realize band recently had a recall.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Realize Band vs Lap Band

+2

There is not a landmark paper that stablished one type of band as superior to the other. I think the use has to do with the preference of the surgeon. The principle is the same for both bands even though they may some aesthetic differences.

Ricardo M. Bonnor, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon