Do I Have a Realistic Tummy Tuck Expectations? (photo)

I am 5 foot 7 inches tall 168 pounds, while standing my stomach really protrudes but while laying on my back it is mostly concave and when i grab my stomach it feels like most of the fat is above my muscles. I measured and at my belly button there is a 4 inch difference between standing up and laying down. So could i achieve the concave/flat results my stomach gets while laying down with a full tummy tuck w/muscle repair and lipo of hip/flanks and upper abdomen or is this unrealistic?

You sound like a good tummy tuck candidate to me.

+1

From your post, it sounds like your problem is one of external fat and laxity and not interal fat a.k.a. belly fat.  You would likely benefit from tightening the rectus muscles and removing the excess skin and fat.  These are all done with a standard tummy tuck. 

Your height and weight indicate that you have a little meat on your bones so you probably won't look "ripped" but honestly, I think a six pack on a woman is unattractive.

Make sure you see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and that he/she shows you some examples of their work.

Surgery

+1

I am not understanding the sequence of photographs you have posted. The lady in red is much lighter in weight than the lady in black

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Expectations

+1

If the person in the postoperative photo is 20 lbs lighter than you are now (hard to say for both you and me), I would recommend losing that weight.  You must understand that without an exam and review of your pictures it is impossible to predict results.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year and has the best chance of getting you to your goal.  Kenneth Hughes, MD

+1

The after photo is someone else, I'm assuming...perhaps the result you are hoping for.  Anticipating abdominoplasty results are best done in person.  Feeling abdominal wall compliance is important, as is estimating skin elasticity, location of umbilicus, distribution of excess skin, bony anatomy, and other factors.  Really impossible to judge from the photo shown... sorry.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tummy Tuck Expectations

+1

Visit your local plastic surgeon and show the photos.  You are in the potential ballpark but I would not say you will get 100% of your expectations.   Go have 3 consultations with ABPS SURGEONS.   IT WILL BE WELL WORTH YOUR TIME AND COST.   MY BEST   DR C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Realistic Tummy Tuck Expectations

+1

Without an actual picture of a front and side view, it is not possible to discuss expectations. It would be better to discuss with your surgeon based on your specific body type and expectations.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty Expectations

+1

Having realistic expectations is one of the most important considerations in having a positive experience with plastic surgery.  You are correct in considering the importance of intra-abdominal fat on the final appearance of the abdomen following surgery.  Your surgeon should be able to give you a sense of your possible result but no one is capable of predicting a result precisely.  Don't expect a concave appearance but hopefully a very significant improvement that you feel justified the expense and risk of the procedure.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Your picture would be helpful

+1

You have chosen the results and not shown your starting point. Please send pictures. Your Should get few consultation with board certified plastic surgeon for better answer.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

What are realistic expectations from a tummy tuck?

+1

Discussing your expectations is one of the most important conversations you can have with your plastic surgeon!  A photo of you would be extremely helpful.  From your description, I don't think you should expect to be concave when standing.  That's rarely achievable for anyone.  However, it sounds like you can expect a flat stomach with a tummy tuck.  Since you do not have a protruding belly when you lie flat, it sounds like repairing the abdominal muscles and removing the excess skin should give you a great result.  Best of luck! 

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Do I Have a Realistic Tummy Tuck Expectations?

+1

The concave look will only come if the intraabdominal fat is minimized with diet and exercise and the 6-pack and oblique muscles of the abdomen are very well toned. However you can get a dramatic improvement from your current situation even without being a gym rat if you keep your weight under good control.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD