Looking for Realistic Results for Ethnic Nose Job (rhynoplasty)

I have been looking for info for rhynoplasty and was wondering if it was possible to get it done and what options are available for my type of nose. My nose is too wide, broad, and a bit bulbous and my nostrils are a bit big for my face. I want a more in tune nose for my face without drastically changing it. I want to know if the pic is possible or can it be done better?

Refining a wide nose

+2

Ethnic rhinoplasty is a challenging and complex subset of rhinoplasty.  Whereas, the standard rhinoplasty is characterized by a hump on the bridge and a slightly wide tip, the typical ethnic nose (asian, middle eastern, hispanic, african american) is defined by a thick skin envelope, wide nostrils, often low bridge height, and wide tip.  The change you desire is achievable.   It would require a reduction of the nostril width, tip, and bones.  In the end, the change will result in a nose that fits your face better.  It will not be a totally different nose. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Achieving a natural result after rhinoplasty in black patients

+1
It is common for patients to have 1 or 2 things that really bother them about their nose. A few of the most common concerns that prompt black patients to seek rhinoplasty include the flat bridge and the width of the lower nose including flaring of the nostrils. Additionally, a flat, large, ill-defined tip may also accompany these other features. Increasing the height of the dorsum will help to balance the profile but also improve definition of the bridge from the front view. This along with improving tip definition and projection can help to make the nose appear less flat and give the nose more definition. Typically, alar base surgery is also required to decrease the flaring or an excessively rounded appearance of the nostrils as well as their size. Although it is possible to make the nose look significantly better with rhinoplasty, it is important that the resulting changes still appear in balance with the other facial features and remain ethnically congruent to avoid an unnatural result and stigmatizing result. This is even more important for black male patients as there is no leeway for an overdone nose - this is terribly stigmatizing and we have seen good examples of this in the media.

The goal of rhinoplasty surgery should be to create a nose that is best suited to your face both in proportion and shape so that you achieve the most natural looking result. If done well, it is possible to achieve a result after rhinoplasty that looks significantly better to you while making it not obvious that surgery was ever performed.

You would benefit from a consultation with a board certified plastic surgery that has significant experience with rhinoplasty in black patients.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Improving your nose is possible.

+1

Hello 248385anon,

Thanks for your question.  It was great that you could provide your own simulation for us to be able to help answer your question.  I think that it is possible to improve the shape and bulbousness of your nose using an open rhinoplasty technique to slim your bridge and reduce the volume of your nasal tip.  A consultation with a specialist in ethnic rhinoplasty is necessary to help you understand the pros, cons, and limitations of your various options.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic nose job and realistic results

+1

With respect to ethnic rhinoplasty, there are many variables that need to be addressed. Wide alae are reduced through alarplasty incisions right at the nostril sill. A low dorsum is augmented with either the patient’s own cartilage from their nose or a silastic nasal implant. There are tip techniques to thin, narrow, and refine the tip when necessary. This reduces the bulbousness of the tip. In addition to the above described procedures, it is also important to add close follow up with your rhinoplasty surgeon due to the nature of thick, olive, oily skin that is present in many ethnic noses. There tends to be scar tissue formation and fluid retention in the supratip area of the nose, which requires multiple cortisone injections in the first six months in the postoperative healing phase.  

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

All rhinoplasty should be individualized so the nose is in harmony with the surrounding facial features. Your proposed result is natural, but I think your nose can be better than you've shown if it is done by a surgeon experienced in ethnic rhinoplasty.

Achieving Natural Results In Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

With the techniques available today in rhinoplasty, it is possible to achieve natural results, even in ethnic noses.

My recommendation is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon or ENT surgeon with an interest in rhinoplasty.  Look at before and after photos to see if you like the "style" of the surgeon.

Best of Luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

All these issues can be improved

+1

All of the concerns you have about your nose can be addressed.There are many procedures that have been developed over the years specifically to treat problems in "ethnic noses", whether the patient is Afro-American, Hispanic, or Asian. The bone and cartilage structure of the nose is different from a Caucasian nose so it's important that you have a consultation with someone who has treated a nose similar to yours, in the past. Not only does the nose need to be narrowed but there are also issues of adding cartilage grafts when necessary, depending out what the surgeon finds on his actual physical examination of you, during the consultation.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

African American rhinoplasty

+1

Your request is very straight forward and logical.  Each of the elements that you have astutely noted can be modified.  This will require an experienced plastic surgeon who can go over the strategy for change in detail.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Maintaining an individuals ethnicity I think is key to rhinoplasty surgery. This will provide a natural result.