Am I Being Realistic with the Breast Augmentation Results I Want?

My PS wants me to bring in pictures of what I want so he can be sure that he understands what results I'm wanting. We've discussed this at my consultation; however I did not bring any pictures with me. My surgery is on the 5/26/11. At my pre-op visit we will go into the specifics of the results I'm looking for. The first two pictures are of my before pictures and the third is what I want. The measurement from my collar bone to my nipple is 21 cm on both breasts. Am I being realistic? Thank you!

You won't get that result from just an implant

+3

If you look carefully at your breast compared to the desired result, the main difference is that yours is more bottom heavy with extra loose skin.  An implant alone won't give you exactly that result.  You might need a lift to tighten the lower pole skin.

Breast Augmentation

+2

You'll do great!  Your breasts have deflated after children.  You are not sagging and do not need a lift.  Your extra skin will accommodate large implants, although you do not need to go large.  Mid range or high profile implants will produce a similar result to the third picture showing your desired outcome.

Steve Laverson, MD

For a similar result to the breast augmentation look you want (example photo you posted = one of my patients), a lift is needed

+2

I agree with my colleagues that it is difficult to compare apples to oranges since every breast has its own unique characteristics, but since the photo you chose as an example of your ideal postoperative outcome is mine, I'm going to post my full thoughts on your situation to my blog so that my patients can learn from your question as well. (here's a link to the full before & after photos from that case: gallery.delucaplasticsurgery.com/before-after-surgery-galleries/breast-augmentation-mammaplasty/ or realself.com/photo/238383?offset=1&dr_id=17340)  

The link to my full answer is below - within my post, you'll also find a recent vertical mastopexy case I performed that I think does a good job of matching up with both your current breasts and the postoperative look you're after. 

Regards, Dr. DeLuca

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift will reduce sagging

+2

Thank you for providing the pictures, very helpful.  It appears you have sagging of the breast tissue; in my practice I would recommend to a patient with this situation that she have a lift as well.  Otherwise, the breast tissue is going to be hanging off the edge of the implant.  I think the size you like is OK but you might not get that same result (without lift) because you have sagging and that patient probably did not.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon to make sure that you understand the type of result you can expect.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast Implant Results

+2

It is hard to give you specific advice without examining you in person.  However, based on the pictures that you posted, I would suspect that you will need a lift component and slight areolar reduction to achieve close to the results you see in the computer simulation / picture.  Also, you need to keep in mind that every body is different and computers are amazing that morphing pictures.  However, the results of your surgery will be dependent on your anatomy.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Realistic Expectations

+2

It would be helpful to you to see the before photo of your after photo if at all available. It's very difficult to expect to look like someone else given wishful thinking.  You have lost a lot of natural breast tissue and I am not too sure that an implant by itself will be sufficent to give you the outcome that you are expecting given the photo provided. 

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Realistic Breast Augmentation Results

+2

It is always difficult to exactly match someone else's result with an augmentation and photos should serve as a general blueprint only.  I think that it will be very difficult for you to obtain the result of the patient in the post-op photo which you provided without some sort of mastopexy or breast lift.

John Whitt, MD

Breast augmentation results

+2

Everyones breasts look a bit different and implants will look different as well.  Just from your photo in the lateral view, you may need a small lift as well.

Realistic results from breast augmentation

+2

Photos are very important in planning breast augmentation, and nothing can be more valuable to a surgeon who wants to 'get it right' than photos of how you wish to look after augmentation. The photo you selected shows how full the look you want, upper fill, cleavage, and some surgeons have already advised a lift may be needed for the result you hope for. The photo is very important, looks nice, though not fully a realistic goal. You can with the help of the Internet and your surgeon find other 'befores' that look like you, and results that are closer to your 'realistic' outcome with implants alone. I hope too that you find what you are looking for in breast augmentation.

peterejohnsonmd

+2

Thanks for the photos posted. You are not being realistic to achieve the exact results posted in your type of breasts. You need a lift and larger implants due to ALL the extra skin you have. Sorry but discuss your issues in detail to be sure you are going to be satisfied.