Realistic Expectations? (photo)

I have seen the skills of many plastic surgeons online. I have an idea of what I would like my nose to look like after surgery but I don't know if I'm being realistic. With reshaping and grafting, is it possible?

Can my nose look like this? (photos)

+2

Hard to tell from the angles, lighting, and distances in photo, but the photos are very important to bring to your consultation(s).  While online opinions may be worthwhile, most important is whether or not the operating surgeon feels he or she can achieve for you (or almost achieve) your desired result.  Even if not exactly like the photos, I believe your nose can be improved to approximate the pictured results, but yours will be even better, because it will be on YOUR face!

Nice Nose

+2

Your beautiful Platyrrhine Nose is a functional work of art designed by the creator and modified over time by genetic evolution.  Yes, an experienced Facial Cosmetic & Rhinoplastic Surgeon can help you achieve realistic goals.  Indeed, each component and nasal subunit must be carefully evaluated and fully discussed.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Refinement of the tip, nostrils and bridge in rhinoplasty

+2

Thanks for the question and photos. I think refinement of your bridge, tip and nostrils are all certainly achievable through open rhinoplasty. I would perform computer imaging during your consultation to demonstrate what could be achieved given your anatomy and skin thickness. I have found this imaging process to be even more effective than having patients bring in photos of other people, as you can see how your new nose balances with the rest of your features. I find it a really great way for patients to express their individual aesthetic desires as well. There's a Virtual Rhinoplasty app on my website you can play with as well, which lets you do a similar imaging process at home. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Realistic Expectation

+2

Yes, it is realistic to get the results you desire.  It is a good idea to bring pictures from magazines, Photoshop, etc… to your consultation.  This way the surgeon has a visual idea of the look you are going for.  At the same time, a good surgeon will review you goals and discuss a treatment plan of how close to your ideal look he/she can accomplish.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Refined rhinoplasty

+2

You should expect to have a nose much more refined than what you see in those pictures. There are three major procedures that need to be done on your nose. Narrow the dorsum, refine the tip and narrow the nasal base. Check out the before and after pictures.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Realistic Expectations?

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and IMHO, you appear to have thick nasal skin, very low nasal bridge with wide alae, bones and tip cartilages.  The middle picture, to some extent, is achievable while the other photo showing a thin sleek nose with thin skin, thin tip and higher bridge is not.  Having said that, your nose can still be improved, with Rhinoplasty, following the proper aesthetic guidelines. 

Refinement of nose

+2

Certainly it is possible to improve your nasal refinement to be similar to the women you posted.  But, everyone is different.  Good luck.

African American Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

African American Rhinoplasty is a sub-specialty in itself. You can certainly get pretty close to the results you seek. I would recommend finding a surgeon who does many African American rhinoplasties because revisions can be difficult and costly. I would recommend a custom carved silastic implant to fit your nose and very fine cartilage grafting in the tip. See weblinks below for more information.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

African American rhinoplasty.

+2

African American rhinoplasty should be done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who will give you a much more refined nose but not the one in the second photo. The reason is the thick skin can only narrow so much and you do not want to end up with a "done" look.

Your expectations are realistic based on the first picture and not the second example

+2

You can get improvement and results close to the example. The second example is a patient with much thinner nasal tip .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon