Realistic Expectations of Symmetry? (photo)

I have just gone for my second consult on a breast reduction. I'm 51 5'5" 165lb. breast size 34GG. My surgeon showed me some before/after pictures of her work, in both instances patients breasts were somewhat similar to mine. I wasn't very pleased being the shape outcome was boxy. When I voiced my concerns...she said I should be more concerned about making my pain/discomfort better than the overall shape. That was to be the trade off. Am I being ridiculous, I would like to keep some of my fullness.

Boxy breasts

+3

If you do not like the look of the breast reductions obtained by the surgeon than I would go somewhere else.  Not all breast reductions should result in a boxy appearance.

If you don't like what your plastic surgeon tells you before the operation, get a second opinion.

+2

If you don't like the photographs that your plastic surgeon is shown you is certainly should get a second opinion. Breast reduction is not a very painful operation so I'm not certain I understand the aesthetic trade-off for the purpose of reducing pain.

Realistic Expectations of Symmetry?

+2

Your title mentions symmetry but your question seeems to be about boxiness. I have not found the boxy look to last beyond 3-4 months so maybe the photos you saw were early. But there is no need to see a surgeon whose attitude or results you do not like. Regarding symmetry, there is always some difference in breast size and shape both before and after surgery. We try and limit those differences as much as possible.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+2

Thank you for your information and the photos.  You do have an excessively long pedicle which makes an aesthetic outcome more of a challenge.  First of all, perfectly symmetrical breasts are extremely rare, with or without a breast reduction.  Secondly, your surgeon is somewhat right in terms of relieving your symptoms rather than focusing on aesthetics.  That being said, you are entitled to achieve the best aesthetic result possible.  

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Achieving Goals with Breast Reduction Surgery?

+2

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. You are wise in doing your due diligence in the selection of plastic surgeon. You are also wise in  trying to achieve realistic expectations prior to proceeding with surgery.

Based on your question, I think that additional consultations will be helpful to you. You may also be surprised as to how much you can learn about plastic surgeons' quality of work based on Internet “research”. You should be able to see lots of examples of before and after pictures online, before even seeking consultation in person.

By the way, you are not being “ridiculous”;  achieving aesthetically pleasing results with breast reduction surgery should be one of the goals of everyone involved.  Having said that, again achieving realistic  expectations is important; understand that "perfect” symmetry and/or shape is rarely achieved.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Post operative appearance

+2

Large breasts that are very wide do often appear boxy after surgery but not always. It sounds like your surgeon was being honest with you. It also seems she was less understanding about your concerns so you may want to seek a consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon. You need to be comfortable with your surgeon as well as the surgical plan. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Ultimate Breast Reduction corrects asymmetry and maintains appropriate size

+1

Your photographs show you are asymmetrical and the right breast is larger and droops more than the left.  There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Reduction.  This technique avoids the ugly verticals scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.  This technique transfers the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle resulting in pain relief and long term stability.  This technique allows you to choose the breast size proportionate to your body size and avoids over reduction.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Shape Concerns After Breast Reduction

+1

Early breast reduction results can be boxy but that will round out and drop a bit a few months after surgery. This is not a long-term concern.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

NO! you are not! Seek other in person evaluations to see "better" results. Use only boarded PSs in your city. 

Realistic Expectations after Breast Reduction

+1

Although no two people are the same and very large breasts like yours are the hardest to get truly aesthetic after a reduction, most women should expect to have relatively perky and reasonably aesthetic breasts without much boxiness. There are several methods of breast reduction and each has its own possible risks and problems with shape. A good breast surgeon should be able to modify the technique in order to obtain optimal results. If you are not happy with the results you have seen or the answers to your questions, seek another opinion. You may be able to see results on line.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon