Realistic Expectations for Rhinoplasty?

I am going to schedule a rhinoplasty within a few weeks and was wondering if my expectations are realistic? I have a dorsal hump which I want reduced, not turned into an unnatural nose. I want the result to be natural and resemble my natural nose shape, and I do not want the doctor messing with the tip of my nose. I am perfectly happy with the front view of my face but dread when people are looking at my profile. I have included a picture I created using Face TouchUp. Realistic?

Desire for a natural rhinoplasty

+3

Dear kleigh from Michigan
I reviewed your lateral nasal photos. Based on your digital modification of the photo with desired shape, your expectations are very realistic. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon can easily create a natural nose for you by removing the hump without raising your tip. You are a great candidate for rhinoplasty. Talk to your surgeon, review his nose job before and after photos and get a feeling how his previous rhinoplasty patients look. Good luck.

Realistic Expectation for Bump Removal with Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi kleigh,

As other plastic surgeons have already stated, you have realistic expectations. Many rhinoplasty surgeons will use similar preoperative computer imaging to educate patients about their specific rhinoplasty and the potential results.

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but many potential operations. Every patient is unique. Reducing the hump from a nose is the most common request for cosmetic nasal surgery. Humps are usually made up of both cartilage and bone, and come in various sizes and shapes. Reducing small humps is a relatively easier procedure, as compared to more extensive rhinoplasty surgery. Large bumps will require bone reshaping/breaking after the hump is removed.

A goal in nasal surgery is to recreate balance of the nose with the rest of the face. A small hump may be filed or rasped without needing more surgery. A subtle change in the nose may create a profound improvement in facial balance. Occasionally, complementary surgery may be recommended along with the rhinoplasty to help improve overall facial balance, such as chin implant or augmentation.

Only after a comprehensive nasal evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine the most appropriate option for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty expectations

+2

I think what you are conveying is not only realistic but in my opinion would be the preferred appearance of your nose at least on the profile view that you provided. I prefer my patients to have realistic expectations and I personally like noses that look natural and fat the face of the patient versus those that appear surgically created to go with the surgeon's preconceived expectations. I think you are very realistic in your approach. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty expectations

+2

The reduction of a dorsal hump is the most common change requested by patients.  Your tip can remain the same and you can get a nice hump reduction.  You will need to discuss with your surgeon what you want for the final result.; such as a level dorsum or slightly lower.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Realistic Expectations After Rhinoplasty

+1

The greatest source of unhappiness for a patient after a rhinoplasty is that of unrealistic expectations. I think your proposed changes are reasonable based on the photographic manipulations you provided. 

I always encourage patients to bring in pictures of other people with noses representative of the results they desire. More than once I have had a patient bring in a picture of a nose that could never be achieved. 

Understanding the concerns and the results expected of a patient considering rhinoplasty will help make the outcome as pleasing as possible. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Expectations for hump reduction

+1

Your expectations seem reasonable based on the photos you provided. To avoid unintended changes to the frontal view of your nose after a hump reduction I typically recommend the placement of cartilage grafts (spreader grafts) in the middle third of your nose to help prevent pinching of the area several years down the road as the nose heals and the nasal bridge skin shrink wraps over the smaller underlying framework.

The most important thing is to make sure you've communicated with your surgeon your postoperative goals. No one can guarantee that they'll match preoperative morphed images, but understanding your aesthetic and preferences based on them is invaluable.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Realistic Expectations for Rhinoplasty?

+1

Thanks for the photos and YES your are very very realistic in your expectations! Best of luck and I'm sure you will be happy. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Prediciting rhinoplasty outcome

+1

The results you are depicting appear reasonable. Of course it may not be  possible to duplicate the photographic results.

Rhinoplasty expectations

+1

I think expecting realistic results after a rhinoplasty is great. It is a problem when patients come in and their expectations are unrealistic.