How Realistic to Expect Oblique Muscles Plication During Abdominoplasty? Why Is This Only Done Overseas?

Dear Docs, I'm considering secondary TT, and while researching options, I found that Brazil and Russian surgeons can do oblique muscles plication in addition to rectus plication to accentuate waist during TT surgery. I wonder if such an option is accessible in USA? And if not, I wonder why? - are there any downsides to it besides prolonged recovery? Thank you.

Tummy tuck with oblique muscle plication

+3

It is realistic to expect oblique muscle plication if you request it and you are a candidate for it.

Oblique muscle plication is not limited to overseas plastic surgeons. It is done here in the United States. Some plastic surgeons routinely do it on all of their tummy tucks, and others do it on a case-by-case basis.

Oblique muscle plication can contribute to increased discomfort after surgery.

Ask your plastic surgeon. If he/she has never done it or is unwilling to do it, you can always get another opinion.

Oblique Muscle Plication at Tummy Tuck

+3
I routinely plicate the obligue muscles in a tummy tuck when it is indicated. It is indicated in womem with a "pot belly" , especially with a sway back ( lumbar lordosis). I make this decision during surgery. Not many women have this body type. You do not need to be in a foreign setting for your plastic surgeon to think about this finrsse point in a tummy tuck.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Abdominoplasty and techniques of muscle tightening (plication)

+2

there are many ways to tighten the abdominal muscles

1. vertically , or straight up and down
  2. permanent or dissolving sutures
  3. rectangle repair
  4. oblique repair
  5. lower abdominal repair

i use these methods in combination or alone as needed

Waist Definition Can be Improved with Oblique Plication

+2

hi tony99:  in most abdominoplasty patients, tightening of the oblique muscles is not necessary for an excellent improvement in waistline definition.  i am very aggressive in plicating the abdominal muscles in my patient population and in addition to the rectus plication, i also evaluate the obliques and plicate when necessary.  you do not need to leave the country to have this procedure.  if you have a straight waistline before abdominoplasty, due to a very short distance between ribs and hip bone, no amount of oblique plication will give you a narrow waist.  (you will just be so tight and pulled forward that you won't be able to stand up straight!).  if the oblique is truly bulging and very lax, then plication can be very helpful in getting the great result and narrow waist that you are looking for.  most people with a small (tight) waist have enough length from ribs to hip bone to allow the curve to come in to the waist and then out again to the hip.  "short-waisted" patients will not be narrowed by oblique plication and tend to be straight waisted.  your plastic surgeon should be able to evaluate these anatomic landmarks and advise you about whether you are even a candidate for oblique tightening.  i probably find only one or 2 patients per year who will truly benefit, but it is always an option i consider.  best of luck to you!  dr h

Mary C. Herte, MD

Oblique plication during abdominoplasty

+2

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the question.  In addition to plicating the lateral oblique muscle/fascia, I routinely attach a large piece of mesh for support. This technique allows for a longer lasting repair of the abdominal wall. And it acts like an 'internal girdle' of sorts to permanently ensure a flat tummy. Patients describe a tight feeling across their abdomen. This often translates to immediate weigt loss due to inability to overeat.   Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Oblique muscles can be tightened as part of an abdominoplasty

+2

This is an interesting question. I think that you are an example of the "modern" patient who is doing extensive research about the procedure that really was not possible before the Internet facilitated access to information. When you learn of something "new" or "unique" it is best to ask your Plastic Surgeon and in most cases you will learn that they have an educated opinion and often personal experience with something you thought was only available elsewhere.

In North America,  a Royal College or American Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be well aware of the options for tightening the muscle/fascia layers during an abdominoplasty. For some patients the laxity in the lateral abdomen benefits from a variety of techniques to shape and tighten this area in addition to the mid-line tightening. This is a decision that starts with a thorough examination but ultimately is decided in the operating room. One important factor in achieving optimal waist definition with an abdominoplasty is that the patient really must be near their ideal weight or at least have very little visceral fat excess at the time of surgery.

I have not found the recovery of patients to be changed in a tangible way when I do additional plication or tightening of the lateral abdomen (external oblique area).  Consequently, this additional shaping is done selectively when I feel it will benefit my patients' outcome.

Regards,

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Oblique Muscles Plication During Abdominoplasty?

+2

The method of further tightening the abdominal muscles you are referring to is NOT new and is sometimes referred to as a Psillakis Corset Abdominoplasty. While the external oblique muscles can be tightened on either side for greater flattening of the tummy and accentuation of the waist. In the original operation, the insertion of the Ext. Oblique muscles on the lateral side of the Rectus Abdominis Muscle are cut on both sides and the muscles are undermined from the Int. Oblique muscles and pulled across the midline and stitched to each other as a corset.

This operation is not routinely done because it is a greater operation with more discomfort to the patient and is only done in certain, limited patients who would benefit from it.

You did not mention WHY you are having a Secondary Tummy Tuck but I'm sure if you picked an experienced Plastic Surgeon (= member of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons) he could readily tell you if you may benefit from this operation.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Oblique muscle plication during an abdominoplasty

+1

Oblique muscle plication during an abdominoplasty is done in the US all the time when indicated. In virtually every case the rectus muschle is plicated, and if the patient has a large waist, the obliue muscle plication can help. If the abdominal content is excessive, plication sutures will not help much. It's best to lose down to the weight that is practical for you to maintain before such a procedure. This will also allow the oblique muscles to tighten with plication.

E. Ronald Finger, MD, FACS

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Its not really a muscle problem

+1

Muscles are designed to contract and expand--your arm and legs muscles do it thousands of times a day and they do not become "lax".  When the abdominal wall becomes lax after pregnancy it is not the muscle that has changed but the connective tissue the abdominal muscles are enveloped in.  When muscles are tightened during a tummy tuck its really the connectve tissue that is tightened--muscles are not good at holding sutures anyways.  The main area for plication of the connective tissue is in the middle between the left and right rectus muscles.  Other options include the linea semilunaris--which is the area just to the side of each rectus muscle.  Suturing the the oblique muscles usually refers to plicating the connective tissue in the semilunaris area.  It can be done if beneficial but the midline plication usually all that is needed.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

+1

You can see your research has not allowed you to find the many US PSs that offer lateral plication of some form. It is done as each case dictates its need. Why travel overseas for an extended recovery and risks is what I wonder?