Am I Ready for a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

First of all I am sorry for my bad english skills. Im from Italy. My physicians dont agree and I am really lost...I am 20 years old, 5.4 and 165 pounds. I have lost 121 pounds in 2 years. A doctor told me to get rid of at least 20 pounds more before surgery, the other one told me that I should do the surgery now. My weight hasnt been dropping for a while now and that really depresses me. thank you in advance!

Tummy tuck after 121 lbs weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  In a perfect world, we would like our patients to be at their goal weight.  That being said, it is advisable to be within 30 lbs of goal weight.  Each case is different.  Each surgeon may have a different threshold for surgery.

Tummy tuck or not

+1

Hi,

Good job on the weight loss.  20 pounds more or not is not the limiting factor.

If you have gotten to this weight and you just cannot lose anymore, then you do the tummy tuck and see if there is more motivation to continue to lose in your new cureves.

If you were my patient, I would probably remove this amount with the combination of tummy tuck and liposuction.  You might very well have small features underneath the fatty tissue but no matter what, your new curves will certainly be inspirational for you considering what you have already achieved.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.  Albany, New York

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Your weight is not ideal, but close enough to have a tummy tuck, and there are psychological advantages.

+1

Wow, that is really an achievement.  Bottom line, you can have a tummy tuck at your present weight.  It's not ideal, but it sounds like your weight has plateaued.  Even at your present weight, it is possible for the surgeon to approximate the muscle, which is my criterion for doing a tummy tuck.  If you are like 90% of patients, you will find yourself even more motivated to stay in shape after the surgery.  We often perform tummy tucks on moderately overweight patients and the satisfaction rate is extraordinarily high.  You need a psychological reward, and this procedure delivers it.  You might want to check other patients' results on my website, attached.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

I've Lost 121 Pounds - Is It Time To Get A Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on an incredible job of losing weight and beginning the reclamation of your life.  At 165 pounds, I think it is appropriate for you to get a tummy tuck now since you have hit a plateau and are beginning to get depressed over your recent loss of progress.  A well done extended abdominoplasty with liposuction of your flanks will give you that kick start you need to get you down to your ideal weight, and give you a start towards removing the excess skin that you have unfortunately developed.  Six months after your tummy tuck, your plastic surgeon can go back and liposuction the remainder of the fat on your abdomen. 

Again, congratulations on a job well done.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck in overweight people

+1

At 5'4 and 165 lbs, your BMI is 28, which means you are overweight.  However, at the time of the tummy tuck several pounds will be removed as an additional benefit of the procedure.  Certainly, you would be a candidate for a tummy tuck at this time.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Am I Ready for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

It is a very personal decision but either way is acceptable. So you need to make the decision on what is best FOR YOU!

Lose extra weight before a tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. You can certainly have the surgery now and get rid a lot of excess skin as well as the fat in that area. Your ultimate result would be better if you were able to get rid of more of the excess weight before surgery as your surgeon would be able to get rid of more excess skin.  If you wanted to split the difference and lose another 10 lbs before surgery, you would probably get a very good result. Congratulations on your tremendous weight loss and good luck!

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Am I ready For A Tummy Tuck?

+1

Dear Felicitas,

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Given that your weight has been stable for quite a while and you are ready to proceed, I think you should go ahead with your abdominoplasty [tummy tuck].  Not everyone is going to be at their "ideal weight" when they are ready to proceed and they will probably never be at that weight.  If you weight is stable-your's is- and the patient is healthy and properly motivated, then there is no reason not to proceed.  

I wish you the best of luck and hope this helped.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Congrats on losing the weight, you are ready. If you’re thinking you’re ready to move forward with the tummy tuck will motivate you to be healthier. Good luck.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Am I Ready for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss.

As a rule we like to have patients close to their desired weight, and it looks like you are there. I doubt that another 20 pounds is likely to make a significant difference in your outcome.

I agree with the surgeon who says to go ahead now. 

Thanks for the question, the photos. Best wishes for a nice result.