Am I Ready for Botox?

I am 24 years old. I literally never move my forehead during the day -- as in, I do not lift my eyebrows or forehead to make the classic lines you see on people. It is simply not an expression I use. That being said, clearly at night I am making this movement (and I think really forcing my eyes closed very tight). I wake up and I can clearly see two lines across my forehead although they are faint. They fade during the day, but they come back after I go to sleep. Should I Botox?

Botox may be started in the 20s as long as expression lines are becoming prominent.

+2

Botox may be started in the 20s as long as expression lines are becoming prominent. I do not see a role for Botox in patients in their early 20s who are not developing lines/wrinkles, and who may want to prevent the lines from forming. In cases such as yours, however, where you are seeing early expression lines forming, I recommend you consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon that will do your Botox a little different than to the rest of the patients with frank facial movement lines: conservatively and addressing the specific muscle(s) that are causing these early lines. In such cases, many doctors will choose to charge you per unit injected, as the dose you'll need will likely be smaller than in other patients. Botox / Dysport / Xeomin are all types of botulinum toxin A that are FDA-approved in the US. I have attached a photo of a patient in her late 20s who had Dysport to the frown area. 

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Beginner

+1

You will never know until you try it. First choose a qualified expert that can counsel you. It is reasonable to use botox as a preventative strategy. If you see wrinkles in the forehead, they usually soften with the botox. If it works, keep it up. If it doesn't, consider additional dosing vs optimizing your skin care.

Make sure you are optimizing your skin care and sunscreen as well - and choose an experienced board certified doctor!

Richard Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I ready for Botox?

+1

If there are no wrinkles present, the Botox will not be effective. However, in some cases it may be preventative. For example, if an individual frequently frowns, the Botox can decrease the frowning, thus decreasing the lines that will appear in the future. If there is a particular area that bothers you, it does not hurt to try it out. But I would not perform the injections if the patient does not need them. I would recommend a consult with a board certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or facial plastic surgeon. They are all great choices, and will provide you with advice after an evaluation. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Neuromodulators (Botox, Dysport, & Xeomin) Work Well For Expression Lines In Young People In Their Twenties

+1

If there are no lines present, I do not generally recommend the use of neuromodulators, such as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin preventively in very young people. That having been said, if lines are present and becoming more prominent with time, as can happen, especially in certain individuals with a family trait tendency towards the very early development of expression lines across the forehead or on the sides of the eyes (as in my own family), I have absolutely no objection to beginning treatment very early on to improve them and prevent their further progression. I treated two of my own sons, in fact, in their early twenties for crow's feet lines, scowl lines, and forehead worry lines. I have also found that a series of four or five initial treatments, particularly in younger individuals, spaced at four month intervals, can eventually lead to maintaining significant improvement for considerably longer intervals between treatments.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Am I Ready for Botox?

+1

Botox is a great alternative to help prevent future line/wrinkles. Although you are very young, I would suggest seeking a reputable board certified physician to give you an honest evaluation and provide you with a conservative natural look

Best regards 

Botox Treatments In Your 20s

+1

Age should not be a determinant in deciding whether one needs Botox or not. When deciding on treatment options for wrinkles and fine lines it should be purely based on the physical examination of the skin. Botox can improve forehead lines. In addition, when Botox injections are used at a younger age they will both improve/erase already existing lines and serve as a preventive measure against developing wrinkles in the future.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Candidacy for Botox

+1

The decision to Botox is a personal one.  For the indication you describe (horizontal forehead rhytids) Botox is extremely safe when administered by an experienced physician.  If those forehead lines bother you, Botox is the most effective way to prevent them from forming.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Wait if you can.

+1

The answer I usually give my patients is if they can begin to see the lines at rest (meaning when you are not lifting your eyebrows) then it may be time to start botox.  Many young women come to me with the same question, is it too early to start?   If you are trying to prevent lines from forming you can start at 24, but you may be able to wait a few years if you cannot see them at rest.   

Jennifer Janiga, MD
Reno Dermatologic Surgeon

Forhead, lines, young adult, Botox

+1

There are several factors that contribute to the formation of "lines" in the forehead.  Skin thickness, the activity of the muscles under the skin, sun exposure and normal aging are responsible.  During the day you may be making a conscious effort not to exert your forehead muscles (express them) but at night when you are asleep you are not making a devoted effort to not wrinkle the forehead.  This is the most likely scenario.  The decision to botox is based on several factors and most of them are personal in nature.  There are a few medical situations where someone would "need" to botox. In your case this is more of a personal decision that only you can make!

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead lines

+1

Although 24 is young to get Botox, if you are experiencing lines in the forehead a small dose of Botox in the central forehead area may be enough to stop the muscle activity you are having at night.  A visit to your local Botox provider to discuss your options seems reasonable.  Good luck!

Marilyn Pelias, MD
New Orleans General Surgeon