Is Fixing the Nostrils After Reduction a Difficult Procedure?

I read that the nostril opening can be elongated by direct excision along the rim. My doctor reduced the size of my nostrils which was something I did not want to do but unfortunately he connvinced me after a few consultations. I am very unhappy with the smaller size which make my nose look droopy. I did some research on nostrilplasty and read that by direct excision along the rim of the nostril it can bring up the opening and help with the hidden columella which was caused as a result of the nostril reduction. Is this as a difficult procedure? Is it a realistic procedure?

Fixing nostrils after rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Diana,

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your rhinoplasty results. Enlarging the nostrils after having had them reduced is not an easy undertaking. It is always harder to add tissue where it has been removed. A set of photographs of your nose would be helpful in assessing your situation and advising you further. I would recommend that you have a frank discussion with your surgeon about your situation and see what he can offer you. If you are not satisfied you should seek a second opinion with a surgeon that is experienced in revision rhinoplasty. Best of luck to you.

Dr. A. Gantous

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing nostrils

+1

It is extremely difficult to answer your questions without seeing your photos or examining you – it would be very helpful to post images showing your areas of concern

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Nostril Size after Alar Base Reduction

+1

Without pictures of the side and base of your nose it is impossible to give you an accrurate, specific answer. However, in general, it is difficult to increase the size of the nostril opening. I suggest you discuss this with your surgeon, get a second opinion with an experienced revision rhinolasty surgeon, or submit pictures to us. 

Nostril shape

+1

Tough call.. Hard to say without examining you.  Once a alar base resection is performed, you can not replace the lost tissue with out significant scarring.

Nostril size - flared nostrils

+1

A wide base or flared nostrils can be treated surgically with what's called an alar base reduction. There are three things that may need to be addressed with alar base reduction. 1) The circumference of the nostrils can be made smaller, 2) The width of the base of the nose can be brought in if necessary, and 3) the alar flare, or the amount the ala stick out before reinserting onto the upper lip, can be reduced. An evaluation would be necessary to assess the other aspects of your nose to make a definitive decision as to what would benefit you most and provide a natural, unoperated appearance.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon