I Had Reaction After a Visit to the Dentist, I Got Swollen Cheek and Eye? (photo)

had a dentist appointment yesterd,the dentist injected local anesthesia(lidocaine)in the upper right part of my gum, shortly after i got swollen cheek and eye.i would like to know what really causes this reaction,this is not my first visit to the dentist,but 1st time that i've had a reaction to medicaion taken.have i develop an allergy to lidocaine or is it that a blood vessel was hit while doing the injection?or could it be due to food taken on previous day(meat/prawn/chicken/2 type of mushroom

Probably a hematoma from the injection caused your swelling

+3

If only the side of the injection swelled up, then the most likely cause is that the needle inadvertedly hit a blood vessel and caused a hematoma (bruise).  If the swelling is on both sides of your face, then it could be an allergic reaction.

There is a main blood vessel under the eye that can cause this. It happened to me once but further back in the mouth. It is not the doctors fault, this can happen to anyone and there is no way to predict.

Something else that can cause this, is if you had a root canal treatment, the liquids used to clean the root can go out the tip of the root and cause this reaction.

You can take some anti-inflammatory meds such as 400 mg Ibuprofen and use moist heat to help reduce the swelling faster. Also, you may notice color changes such as blue, black, yellow, green, like a bruise. .

good luck

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Swollen Cheek & Eye After Dental Visit

+2

Your dentist should carefully evaluate you to make sure it is not an allergic reaction to the anesthetic, but it most likely is NOT. It's probably not a food allergy either. Most likely, the anesthetic entered into some soft-tissue space causing the swelling. It will most likely dissipate within a day or 2 but may turn black/blue in the process. Don't panic.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Swelling after dental visit

+1

It is important that you go get this check out, did you take any medication apart from the anesthetic?

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist