Would Rasping Work for my Nose? (photo)

Hello, Please review my pics and let me know what you think. I hate the bridge of my nose and in pictures it just seems to look huge from the side. I think it's long too but so is my face. I don't have a problem with the tip and have always said if I could just shave down the bump. I have heard about rasping and am looking into it. I would love any opinions based on the pics. Thank you so much!

Imaging might help decision

+2

It all depends. You have a nice nose and profile, but one could argue that there is a little too much projection. If you want to set the nose back a little, then it might require more than just rasping. However, if you like the projection and just want to get rid of the small bump, then rasping would work. It is easy to answer this question by having a surgeon manipulate a digital image of your nose so you can see the difference and give your own input. Either result would be nice and add to your profile. Both procedures could be done with a closed approach. For your nose I would avoid an open rhinoplasty. The other option is to leave it alone because it looks so nice already!  Good luck.

Reduction Rhinoplasty

+1

It appears that what you might be after is a smaller, cuter nose. Rasping of the nasal bones is only a small part of that procedure. Attention should also be made to the level of projection of your nose, as well as your internal nasal airway.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Rasping of nasal bridge

+1

Rasping of the nasal bridge will only effect on the nasal bones, not the cartilage.  Cartilage does not respond to rasping and must be shaved down with a knife or scissors.  Once the small hump is removed, the nose can be deprojected.  If after removing the hump there is a wide nasal bridge, also known as an open roof deformity, osteotomies must be performed to prevent a square topped nasal bridge.

Would Rasping Work?

+1

Based on your photos it appears that you would be a good candidate for surgery, but a good rhinoplasty involves much more than just some rasping

Sam Naficy, MD

Rasping to Reduce Projection of Nasal Bridge.

+1

Your profile would improve with the reduction of the projection of both bone and cartilage. There are several different surgical maneuvers to accomplish this. Don't chose the technique, pick the experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Most of your small bump looks like it is at or below the level of the bone cartilage junction. Since rasping works well for bone but not cartilage I suspect you will need more than just rasping.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rasping for my Nose?

+1

Overall, I feel that you have a very nice profile.  Any comments should be taken with a grain of salt if/until a physical examination is performed.  It is rare in a Rhinoplasty to do "just one thing", because the appearance of the nose is a composite of features that work together; often a single change requires a counterbalancing maneuver.  Overall, the nasal tip is slightly bulbous, and over-projected with a small dorsal hump.  When an over-projected nose is set back, the dorsal reduction involves more than just rasping the nasal bones.  Reduction of the dorsum frequently necessitates osteotomies to prevent a "book spine" deformity on the top of your nose. Again, this is an opinion that won't hold water without a consultation.  Good Luck!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rasping only for nose?

+1

Rasping only may be good for small bumps that are only bone, but my guess is that yo also have cartilage that needs to be shaved. Cartilage is often not amenable to rasping but actually need ti be cut.  Also rasping may flatten your nose too much and cause it to look wide.  An exam is key.

Profile Reduction

+1

From the looks of the photos you would do very nicely with a conservative profile-plasty. Your tip could be left alone or have mild volume reduction from trimming the cartilages.

A Rasp is a surgical instrument that only removes bone so rasping alone will not achieve the change you are seeking. A profile-plasty is a more accurate description for reducing bony and cartilage prominence in the profile.

Regardless of terminology, you should be able to achieve a nice result, provided the surgeon does not overdo the profile reduction.

Best of luck.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would Rasping Work for my Nose?

+1

Yes, from the photos, rasping dow the slight bony dorsal hump would seem appropriate combined with scalpel reduction of the dorsal cartilage hump.  I suspect the nasal tip is over projected as well and should be reduced by a mm or so all via Closed Rhinoplasty.