Rasping the Sides of the Nose?

I have bumps post rhinoplasty on both sides of my nose ( 2years ago) and was wanting to get them rasped down. I am pretty sure they are located on the bone. When I was researching the problem, some doctors have written that is is very hard to rasp the sides of the nose and a dent can form. Is this common? Is the breaking of the nose required to reposition the bones if the bumps are rasped or would simply rasping be sufficient?Is rasping the isde walls a bad idea?

Rasping vs Breaking the Nose During Rhinoplasty

+1

As a rhinoplasty surgeon the need to rasp versus perform osteotomies (breaking of the bones) depends entirely on the cause and the exact location of the bumps.  Some areas are more amenable to rasping while other areas require for the bones to be reset.  My recommendation is to return to the surgeon who performed your procedure first as they would know exactly what was performed at the time of your original rhinoplasty and would thus have the best idea as to the cause of the bumps.  At times small bony bumps (callous) can form after a rhinoplasty.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rasping the Sides of the Nose

+1

If the bumps are small they can be eliminated by rasping (filing) the elevations. However if the bumps are secondary to an open roof deformity where the bones  are separated the nose must be broken  with osteotomies to reposition the nasal bones.

How to treat bumps after rhinoplasty

+1

The best treatment of bumps encountered after rhinoplasty depends on what is causing the bumps. The bumps may be due to rough bone edges in which case rasping can help. They may also be from cartilage or scar tissue, though, so an examination will help determine the best treatment course.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Ridges can be treated with rasping or repositioning of bones

+1

First and foremost, the cause of the problem needs to be sorted out.  Sometimes vertical ridges on the sides of the bridge can be prominances caused by the upper aspects of the upper lateral carilages (the cartilage taht forms the roof of the mid part of the nose).  These cartilage "horns" can be trimmed, but then the area would need to be stabilized.

If the cause is indeed bone and degree of elevation is small, rasping can be performed.  Is the prominance is large, repositiong the bone with osteotomies (cuts in the bone) may be needed.  Dents or other irregularities can be avoided with a conservative meticulous approach.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty for Nasal Bone Bumps

+1

Rasping irregularities on the nose is a great way to smooth out bumps on the nasal bones, even if they occur on the sides. Dents, as you have described, can occur if rasping is performed too aggressively. If the bumps are due to irregularities in the the nasal cartilage, then rasping generally does not work well. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Bumps on nose after rhinoplasty.

+1

Bumps on nose after rhinoplasty can be rasped down without making dents . I need to see photos to give a proper answer.

Rhinoplasty to smoothe out bumps

+1

Dear man39,

• There could be a couple of issues causing the problem and depending on the cause, you have something to do
  • If the edges are caused by nasal bones that were not brought in close enough, then you have to reset the nasal bones
  • If there is just some spur, small piece of bone, it can be rasped
  • It just depends on what your exam look like

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Skilfully done revision rhinoplasty usually works

+1

Hi.

Really need detailed exam to answer this question, but sometimes rasping alone can remove post-operative bumps.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)