Rasping Side of Nose Bone by Eye Area?

I had rhinoplasty one year ago. Two weeks after surgery I noticed drastic swelling at the top of my nose on the right side near my under eye area. My doctor said it was a bone bruise and would heal with time. It has improved but is still obviously raised and creates a huge dark circle under my eye. My doctor said he could easily rasp the bone down but is now saying it is a risky procedure and suggests I do nothing about it. I don't understand and still really want this to be fixed.

Revision of rhinoplasty

+1

By your description, this is likely a sequelae of the osteotomy (break).  If this is firm and xrays show bone then I would believe that rasping it under a local/sedation procedure should fix the problem.

Little Rock Plastic Surgeon

Bone deflected 1 year after Rhinoplasty

+1

It should be possible to rasp nasal bone irregularities at 1 year after a Rhinoplasty.  This typically is a very simple procedure and can usually be done through a limited incision and tissue dissection that's just wide enough to allow the nasal bone rasp (I have a special thin one that I use) to reach the area to be reasped down.  You'd have to ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon why he feels that it's risky as he's the one that did your Rhinoplasty and maybe he knows something more specific.

Rasping of Bone in Rhinoplasty Revision (by the Eye Area)

+1

Hi Lynn,

Best to get a few other expert rhinoplasty opinions unless your rhinoplasty surgeon can better explain to you what his/her thought process is.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Post rhinoplasty bruise and swelling

+1

Without pictures it is difficult to understand what is going on. It may well be that the protrusion was do to a complication involving the bony osteotomies and could be corrected by a revision of these

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Re: dark circle after rhinoplasty

+1

Consider camouflaging it by filling in the dark circle or hollow part around it.  You can use Restylane or possibly Radiesse.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bump and Bruising after rhinoplasty

+1

Some bruising and swelling after rhinoplasty is very common.  However it does not commonly persist after several months and should be gone by the first year.  If you are experiencing a persistent bump at this point you should talk to your surgeon about your options for removal.  Often times a small bump can be rasped or filed down in the office with minimal trouble.  You should speak to your surgeon regarding your next steps. 

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bone bump after rhinoplasty.

+1
Ask the surgeon what the risk is. All rhinoplasty surgeons occasionally have a bump to file down and can be a quick office procedure.

Rasping side of nose only if it is bone

+1

A rare complication of rhinoplasty surgery is an inclusion cyst at the site of bony osteotomies.  This or a bony spur could be what you have.  It is not possible to fully answer your question in this forum.  I would recommend and X -ray and this will help to determine if it is bony in nature and if it is not it could be a cyst.  An ultrasound might help rule in a cyst.  Surgery to remove the cyst would be required if it were a cyst.  Best wishes.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Rasping side of nose

+1

Occasionally one might see some irregularity in the bone in the area you describe. The bone is broken/cut in this area during most standard rhinoplasty procedures. It is possible to try to rasp away any obvious deformity. However I am not sure why you still have a 'huge dark circle' under the eye. Perhaps you could upload some photographs.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon