I'm One of Those Rare Few That Has Excruciating Nipple Pain over One Year After a Breast Augmentation, Will It Go Away>

If I opt to remove my breast implants altogether will the pain go away? I also have capsular contractures if that matters. I'm worried about breast feeding with this immense pain.

Excruciating Nipple Pain over One Year After a Breast Augmentation, Will It Go Away?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced after breast surgery. You are correct in that the presence of capsular contraction “does matter” when it comes to pain symptoms; in my opinion, removal of the thickened breast implant capsule may increase chances of improvement/alleviation of your pain. It is possible that nerves have been caught up in the thickened scar tissue. Of course, surgical intervention of any kind, will not necessarily guarantee improvement or resolution of the pain.

Best wishes as you think about options.  You may find the attached link helpful to you.

Excruciating Nipple Pain over One Year After a Breast Augmentation

+1

The hyperesthesia you are experiencing is indeed very rare. I have sen an occassional patient with the problem but it never lasted more than about 4 months. Taking out the implants is very unlikely to have any effect on your symptoms. You might ask the surgeon to do some marcaine injections into the area of the 3rd and 4th intercostal nerves and if that cures the pain for a while he might then consider reoperating to sever those nerves to create total numbness if that is an acceptable option.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Nipple Hypersensitivity After Breast Augmentation

+1

On most women, the hypersensitivity goes away pretty quick.  Removing the implants may not get rid of the hypersensitivity entirely.  However, having capsular contractures may be an indication for removing the implants.  I recommend you go see your PS

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Breast Augmentation

+1

After breast augmentation one can develop hypersensitivity of the nipples. This usually resolves very quickly or by a desensitization process. In your case this is persisting and you describe it as excruciating pain. Recommend to see your plastic surgeon and discuss your options, including removal of implants. Though removal of implants does not guarantee the resolution of the pain.

+1

Nipple pain or hypersensitivity happens in a small percentage of patients having breast augmentation. Nipples problems seem to be more common with peri-areolar incisions. It seems that early hypersensitivity is related to skin and nipple stretching to accommodate the implants and tends to decrease as the implants feel softer over the first 6 months post-op. The important fact is that you relate having capsular contractions which can cause the tightness that could cause the pain to continue. To relieve the pain at this point you may want to consider removing the implants. You mention breast feeding which is another reason to remove the implants for now. You can always go back later place new implants.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon