Will Tummy Tuck Revision make my scar go away or lighten? What are the costs? (photo)

My tummy tuck scar is a little on the darkside . Will a revision make go away or just lighten ?
How much do scar revision from tummy tuck go for?

Will tummy tuck revision make my scar go away or lighten?

+1
Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. These can usually be started at approximately 3-4 weeks postop and when incisions healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. Scars will never disappear, but attempt is made to make the finest scar in a concealed location. Incisions may be revised to lower or conceal better if enough laxity exists.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.  Costs will vary with geographic location and surgeon.   

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Will Tummy Tuck Revision Make My Scar Go Away?

+1
Unfortunately scars will never go away.  The most noticeable signs of scars such as color, thickness, and raised areas can all be addressed.  Pulsed light devices, lasers, and injections can be used to improve scarring.  A consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon would give you specific suggestions on how to improve your scars.

Trey Aquadro, M.D.

Ralph Trey Aquadro, MD
Auburn Plastic Surgeon

Always seek out a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in performing the procedur

+1
Hyperpigmentation of the scar is most often seen in individuals with darker skin or olive complexion. This phenomena  is unpredictable. It a appears as though your overall results were good. I would caution you against further scar revisions. Any additional tension on the scar may cause it to hypertrophy ( get thick ) or even keloid. Give yourself time, if after 2 years there are still areas of hyperpigmentation, then have conservative scar revision of a limited area perform and see what happens.

Always seek out a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in performing the procedure(s) that you are contemplating. Good luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Dark Tummy Tuck Scar

+1
Unfortunately, incisions never go away but they can become much less noticeable.  Time will lighten the scar and silicone bandages will help soften the scar's appearance. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy tuck scars

+1
Tummy tuck scars may darken in darker skinned patients.  A scar revision may improve the scar to some degree, but there is no assurance.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Revision of Abdominal Scar

+1
I would not recommend a scar revision solely due to the color of the scar.  You can apply Hydroquinone (skin bleaching) agent to the scar which may lighten and/or use of a laser (BBL or IPL).  These treatments should improve the color of the scar.  If the scar is dark and raised, one may try steroid injections or needling (dermapen) procedure.  Chances are, if the scar is dark now, following a revisional procedure, it will also be dark colored.   The cost of a scar revision differs among providers.  You may call my office if you have further questions.

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Revising tummy tuck scars

+1
You should think long and hard about what your goals are before having it done again.  Besides saving you the costs of going back to the OR, scars will fade with time, some slower than other, but they will face.  If your garments cover the scars well, what are you trying to improve upon?  As for a scar being crooked, no one can guarantee your scar will be perfectly symmetrical and so if that is what you desire, I would want a written warranty.  If your scar sticks out from your garments, then you could consider a revision, assuming you have enough loose tissue around it to allow change in your scar position.

Curtis Wong, MD

Scars

+1
Scars will never completely go away but they do lighten over time.  I usually wait 6-12 months before considering a scar revision.  Tattoo camouflage can blend the scar but only once the scar lightens.  Good Luck! 

Adam Saad, MD
Atlantic City Plastic Surgeon

Will Tummy Tuck Revision make my scar go away or lighten? What are the costs?

+1
The scar will never go away but sometimes a scar revision can improve the scar.  I cannot determine from the pictures whether or not I would recommend it.  I would have to see you in person to assess the quality of the scar.