How long does 2 units of Botox last?

I decided to get Botox for the first time for my crows feet. since the lines only appear when I smile, the doctor recommended only 2 units of Botox per eye. Will only getting 2 units last less than 3 months or about 3 months? Will 4 units per eye last 3 months? Thanks in advance for your response.

2 units is underdosing

+2
If you had a severe migraine and took an 81 mg aspirin, you'd still have a headache and you'd say that aspirin didn't work for migraines.  

2 units of Botox is not enough to treat Crow's feet, so I don't think you would see visible results that would last 3 months.  You need to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and let them help you figure out what the proper dosing is for you.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Botox for crow's feet

+2
A dose of 2 units of Botox per side to treat the crow's feet is a very low dose.  I would say a more typical dose would be somewhere around 10 units per side.  It is possible that you could get some minor improvement with a 2 unit dose and the effect would most likely only last for a few months.  Usually using a higher dose will make the effect last longer but there is a point reached where using more will not help with the longevity of the effect.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treating Crow's Feet with Botox

+1
Treating Crow's feet around the eyes generally takes 10 units of Botox per side.  Two units sounds like too little to have a full effect that lasts three months.  If the results do not last more than six weeks I would return to your treating dermatologist for additional Botox to be injected in this area.

Michele S. Green, MD

How long does 2 units of Botox last?

+1
Botox lasts 3-4 months if the proper amount of units were applied, if you were under-dosed it may only last 4-6 weeks 

Botox to treat crows feet

+1
I agree with the other Drs, 2 units is way to little to see any improvement. We routinely use 12-15 units per side in treating the crows feet. the effect is visible for two to four months. Good Luck.

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Duration of Botox effect

+1
With the treatment of crow's feet, not only is the severity of lines important, but also the amount of area to be treated.  Typically 4-6 sites on each side will be injected with 2-2.5 units of Botox each, for a total of 8-12 units per side.  You will likely see a return of wrinkles sooner than 3 months if less than this dosage is used.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox for crow's feet

+1
The amount of Botox needed to improve crow's feet depends on each individual.  An optimal dose should last 3 to 4 months.  Two units per side is a very low dose and typically would last about 2 to 3 months.  You will need to wait and see what dosage will work for you and give longevity.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox 2-4 units

+1
Botox very low dose can work but it won't last as long as you would normally expect. If it lasted 4-8 weeks at that dose that would be good. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

2 Units of Botox For Crow's Feet?

+1
Are you sure your doctor was not talking about the fine lines directly below your lower eyelids? In those situations 2 units of Botox seems appropriate. However, 2 units of Botox around the eyes in the crow's feet area will not do anything for you. Its hard to tell exactly how many units you would need without examining you, but the average is at least 10-15 units per side. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

2 units of Botox in crows feet? Not worth the pain or $$$

+1
I doubt that you will see much difference in the crows feet after treatment with 2 units per side.  The usual dosing is 5-15 units per side.  Duration of action, if you see any, will be less than one month.  I'd get another opinion from someone more familiar with Botox.  Yes, the more units used, the longer the duration of action.  Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Destin, Florida.

Steven F. Weiner, MD