Would like to transition from saline to silicone but still keep same size. How many CCs?

I have 550 cc high profile saline implants (68HP-550 in Allergan/Natrelle catalog) and I am considering going to silicone implants. A doctor I consulted with said I should consider the extra high profile silicone (Style 45 in Allergan/Natrelle catalog) but I'm not sure how many cc's I would need to go in order to have the same size that I am now in saline. He said I may require 700 cc's to be where I'm at now. Is that really true? Can any doctors give me some recommendations?

Saline versus Silicone Volume

+2

You are misunderstanding the concept of breast implant volumes. They are measured in 'cubic centimeters' or 'cc', and are equal to 'milliliters' or 'ml'. These are standardized units of measure, and do not change from saline to silicone.

Your consultation has confused this issue, and any recommendations for different profiles and volumes in silicone was most likely made to 'improve' what you currently have. If your implants are in fact filled to 550, and you change to a 700 cc silicone gel implant, you will be noticeably bigger. However, keep in mind that your implants may be filled beyond 550, and could possibly be as high as 600 cc or more.

Best of luck.

+2
The cc's should not really differ but there are differences in shape and projection of the different implants. Most important is to work with your surgeon to be a good team on this and make is clear what you want. The final cc volume should be made by your surgeon to match your goals and expecatations. Feel free to check the demensions of the implants and you can discuss this with your surgeon.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Volume the same with saline and silicone implants

+2

Strictly speaking, 1 cc is a volume measurement that is the same for silicone and saline, but there are some differences in how the implants feel and project. An overfilled saline implant is relatively firm and round, while a silicone implant of the same volume would settle into more of a teardrop shape. For that reason, it is important to know what the actual fill volume of your saline implants is; the range of fill volumes for a 550 cc implant is 550 to 600 cc's.

Richard Baxter, MD

Implant size

+1

If you want to switch to silicone and remain the same size, you should stick to the same volume, 550 cc's, regardless of the profile.  People make too much out of high versus moderate  versus moderate plus.  700 cc's is really large and I would advise against it.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Would like to transition from saline to silicone but still keep same size. How many CCs

+1

Thank you for the question. Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with meaningful specific advice. Ultimately, in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be necessary. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Breast replacement

+1

Indeed I believe that you can definitely replace saline to gel how ever a physical evaluation or your pictures will have to be evaluated for a more extensive review. The size you have right now remains the same, the only thing changing is the actual filling. With saline, Doctors can fill 10% more of the limit of the actual size, it´s desined that way. Silicone just gives you the exact size.

Hopes this helps.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon