Can't Decide What Size Implant to Go with?

Here are my stats: weight 110 height 4 feet 11 inches I am currently a 32 b cup size 13 inch diameter. I have 3 children and breast fed them all for 15 months each my surgery date is 10/23/12 and I am trying to decide between 475cc and 500cc both high profile round my surgeon said either one is fine. When everything is said and done I would like to be a small d cup. To me 500cc seems huge. I hope that is enough info I would truly appriciate as much feed back as I can get. Thank you

Implant size when downsizing

+1

Although it is difficult to judge w/o examining you, 500cc seems large.

Someone your size will probably be a D cup with 400-425cc.

Talk to your surgeon

Good luck.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

+1

In my office, I use 3D imaging to visualize different size and shape implants for your body. Patients feel much more comfortable with their chosen size this way. The difference between 475 and 500 is a matter of millimeters. You would be surprised. The two sizes look about the same. Neither one is small. I think the best way to determine bra size is to put the actual implants over your breasts in a bra. Whichever bra is filled appropriately is the bra you will wear after surgery.

Michael Horn, MD

Implant size

+1

I think you and your surgeon are both right.  The surgeon is correct that there is minimal difference between 475 and 500 cc's.   But  you are also correct in feeling they may be a bit large.   Given your measurements, I would probable use implants in the low 400 range, but, then again, I'm pretty conservative.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Implant Sizing

+1

Based on your dimensions, placing a 475cc or larger sized implant will make your breasts larger than a small D cup. If you haven't used sizers to help you with your choice in implants, then perhaps you should. Do not get hung up on cup size or implant size. When using sizers, you will be able to figure out a size that would look with your body.

Thanks for your question. Best of luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Choosing implants

+1

Your surgeon should have 'sizer' implants. This implants or plastic moulds can be placed inside your clothing to help you decide with size is right for you. 25cc's is about 5 medicine syringe's worth of liquid and will not make much difference. Try using the sizers before having your surgery. You also need to make sure that you have enough breast tissue to hold that large of an implant.

Alejandro Enriquez de Rivera, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

475cc or 500cc? If 500cc seems "huge," then 475cc is still "huge."

+1

This is a common question, and you must realize that 25cc is less than 2 tablespoons volume, which over an entire breast is NOT visible. So that is why your surgeon (correctly) is saying that if this is the choice, either one is "fine." That is because you would not be able to see any difference until you got closer to 100cc (just over 3 ounces) discrepancy.

Thus, if 500cc seems "huge," then 475cc will be virtually identical. If you are concerned about being "too big" when all is said and done, realize that the number one reason for re-operation is not infection (exceedingly rare), capsular contracture (low single digits when meticulous technique and hemostasis are utilized along with antiseptic or antibiotic irrigation and no-touch--Keller funnel--technique), malposition or other problems, but rather "I'm TOO SMALL!"

That being said, 500cc should add over 2 cup sizes for a woman as petite as you, and this is certainly a choice that is on the large side of things, as others have either stated outright, or alluded to more gently.

If I were your surgeon, I would have you try on implants in a bra and stretchy top and see what 450 and 500cc implants look like, have you bring photos of models whose breast size you like, and make the final decision during surgery when I have the ability to actually determine your muscle and skin capacity and stretch, not to mention knowing you and your preferences and lifestyle a bit. Profile would be determined after choosing your exact implant volume (probably 50cc or so more than your chosen implant in a bra), then matching the implant base diameter to your actual submuscular pocket diameter. Use the widest possible for the most natural look and the narrowest cleavage. For more information click on the article "Comprehensive Guide to Breast Augmentation parts 1 and 2" on the About page of my Profile page on this site, or on the web reference link below.

You're on the right track--best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

475 vs 500 cc implants

+1

A 25 cc difference in volume is really very little probably not more than a shot glass full of fluid. Do a baggy test for yourself and try out the volume.

Your Implant Size Selection should be performed with care and guidance from your surgeon.

+1

Greetings,

Sight unseen, it is hard to give you good advice about your size selection.  Your experienced surgeon can tell you how much implant you can have (maximum size that can comfortably fit) based upon measurements and tissue evaluation. 

• We try to actively involve our patients in size selection using implants and "try-on" bras during their consultation.  This has proven to be a better approach, in our experience, than selecting the implant for the patient.
  • Some women may find that 475cc or 500cc HP implants will weigh too much and look too large on a 4'10 and 110 pound frame.  If you place these implants in a bra and look in a mirror, you may be comfortable with this size or select an alternative. 

I hope that you have a satisfying surgical experience and result with your upcoming breast augmentations.

Best Regards,

Doug Raskin, MD, DMD     Colorado Springs,  Colorado

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Important factors in breast implant sizing

+1

Hi,

There are many, many factors that determine final breast implant shape and volume. You have listed several of them. What's not mentioned is the amount of quality of your breast skin. In addition, using cup size as final goal can be unpredictable as there is no uniform standard for bra cup among different bra manufactures. There are many tools available in helping patient determine what's suitable and ideal implant shape and volume. This is best done with a face to face consultation with your plastic surgeon. There are no substitute for in person consultation process.

Sincerely,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Hello

+1

It is very hard to give you accurate advice without seeing a picture or an exam. Choosing a size has a lot to do with what your body has to offer. Your breasts should somewhat match your booty or your hips. Without seeing you or your body proportion the advice giving is not as accurate as it should be. Good luck.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS