Lumpy Upper Lips After Juvederm, What Are My Options? (photo)

Hello! This was my second time getting Juvederm in my lips. When I first got it last year, I loved the slight "cupids bow" effect that it gave me, as well as how it filled in the little lip lines. Well, 9 days ago I got injected again. I was told that the lumps would go away in a few days--but they are still there, very prominent. I feel as if the doctor injected the Juvederm too high, creating an unnatural ridge instead of the subtle filling. Can this be dissolved? Filled in? Thank you!

Lumpy upper lips after Juvederm

+2

In general, it can take 2 weeks or more to see the final result of a lip augmentation. Swelling will be present that can affect the appearance of the final result. Lumps can be due to excess product or swelling. If you are still not satisfied with the result after two weeks, you may want to discuss the option of hyaluronidase with your provider, which will dissolve any filler that is present. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Lumpy lips after Juvederm

+2

I guess my first question would be that I assume you went to two different injectors? At nine days out most swelling should be gone, but I really like for people to wait a full 2 weeks until we begin trying to make any adjustments - adding filler, or taking some out. Remember that sometimes both of those are necessary but they cannot be done the same day. First, dissolve, then add a few days later. But I would really say wait a full 2 weeks before adjusting.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Lumpy Upper Lips After Juvederm, What Are My Options?

+2

You have three options. 1. Allow to heal and metabolize over time. with massaging to the lip area. 2. Use a small amount of additional filler to try and even out. The cost would be small. 3, Use a injection of hyalurondiase to dissolve the filler placed. This is quite expensive from $500. Good luck. 

Lumps of lips

+2

If  hyaluronic acid was used to fill your lips, it can sometimes be massaged gently to flatten the lumps. If it persists, hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve it.

Lumpy lips after Juvederm can be fixed easily with hyaluronidase

+2

Its my experience that after nine days if a lump is present it will persist. Injecting a little hyaluronidase mixed with lidocaine can correct the problem, sometimes before you leave the office. I find Juvederm has a propensity to do that and Reatylane does it less.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lumpy Lips After Juvederm

+2

The best thing to do at this point is to wait a couple more weeks. This will give any swelling a chance to settle down a little bit. The bumps may be from too superficial an injection of the product. If still not resolved after a couple of weeks then the Juvederm can be dissolved using Hyaluronidase. Good Luck!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Juvederm bumps

+2

I would also recommend waiting some more time to see if the bumps improve, they can be from swelling or from hematomas in the few weeks after the injections. If they persist they can easily be dissolved with an enzyme that breaks down Juvederm. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm injections to lips

+2

I would give it another week or so to see how the Juvderm stabilizes. If you are not satisfied with the results, it can be dissolved with a product called hyaluronidase.

Next time, you might want to have a skilled doctor or surgeon inject Volbella which is a newer cousin of Juvederm. It is a bit softer and smoother--excellent for lip injections!

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for lips

+2

Wait 2 weeks and if you are still not happy, visit your doctor again.  The Juvederm can be dissolved if necessary.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

+2

I typically recommend waiting at least 2 weeks before trying to assess or touch up any areas of the lips.  Swelling takes at least that long to resolve, and, if significant bruising occurs, that length of time can be increased substantially.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA