I Ran into a Door; is my Nose Broken? (photo)

Normally I keep my bedroom door closed at night, but my dog nudged it open tonight. When I got up to use the restroom, instead of opening my door I ran head first into the edge. There was a popping sound, and it is bruised and swollen along the bridge. There was no blood, but it is sensitive to the touch and i now have a headache. I apologize for the picture quality; that was the best I could do at 4am.

I Ran into a Door; is my Nose Broken?

+1

Dear Rebecca,

It is difficult to tell from the photo.  There is most likely swelling present, but unsure if there is any bone deviation.  I recommend evaluation by a plastic surgeon or ENT surgeon.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Diagnosing a broken nose

+1

It is difficult to tell without an examination. I would recommend an evaluation by an ENT/Facial Plastic Surgeon. That being said the best indicator if a nose is broken is it different from what your nose looked like prior to the trauma. If it appears straight and you are not having any breathing issues then it is unlikely any additional treatment would be needed. If you cannot tell or are unsure, then I would have it evaluated.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is My Nose Broken?

+1

It is difficult to diagnose a broken nose with a picture. I recommend that you be evaluated by a surgeon; if there is no change in appearance or function after the swelling resolves no treatment is necessary but some minor things can be done early on if a fracture is present.

Nasal fracture from trauma

+1

It is important to go to an ENT or facial plastic surgeon to examine the internal and external portion of the nose, and have x-rays to document any fracture. Reduction of the fracture can be performed within the next few weeks under general anesthesia. Any additional internal fracturing made to be straightened as well if there is breathing problems inside the nose

+1

Why post on the internet, instead of going to urgent care or emergency room???? You need to be IN PERSON examined and have a nasal bone X-ray done to determine the extent of your nasal injuries!!! Than see a PS or ENT to offer the "correct" treatments!! 

Broken nose?

+1

If you heard a popping sound and have pain and it is swollen and deviated, then likely it is broken. It is best to be seen in person for evaluation and possibly have x-rays performed.

Broken Nose and #Rhinoplasty

+1

You need to be examined in person for a broken nose, but it is possible to have it repaired within several days from the injury - assuming the nose is broken.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Nose trauma without bleeding usually means no fracture.

+1

Nose trauma without bleeding usually means no fracture. If in several weeks it looks different see a doctor. 

Nasal fracture?

+1

It is difficult to tell without an exam of your nose whether it is fractured or not.  See a board certified surgeon for evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Possible Nasal Fracture

+1

It is possible that you have a nasal fracture.  If the bones are not deviated, you should be fine.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon if you are experiencing pain, or if the nose is crooked.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD