I Have Scheduled a TT, MR, and Lipo. Can I Get my Upper/lower Eyelids Done at the Same Time?

I will ask my PS on June 4th but am curious if anyone has done this. My TT is estimated to take 3.5 hrs. I am 37 yrs old, active and have great family support. One of my lids hangs slightly over my lashes - my sister says I have Asian eyes (though I am not Asian).

BAD THINGS INCREASE WITH TIME by Villar

+3

The longer the surgery time, anesthesia time, and surgical trauma, the greater the complication rates and longer recuperation rates are exponentially.  Infection rates increase at about two hours, and bleeding and hematomas may increase over four hours.

It is better to have multiple small procedures, than one long one of equal length.  For the past 30 years we follow the following rule of thumb in elective cosmetic surgery.  Do not go over four hours.  Schedule what you can do in three hours and leave on hour as a safety margin.  We do a complete abdomenoplasty in 1 1/2 hrs and a blepharoplasty in 30 minutes = 2 hrs.  But you may have eyelids that are more complicated than usual so we would add another 30 minutes.  This is equals  2 1/2 hours with 1 1/2 hour safety margin.  So the answer is yes.  If it took us 3 1/2 hrs to do an abdomenoplasty, then the answer is no.  Remember, complications do not just occur due to the increase physiological stresses on the body, but also from physician fatigue and loss of concentration.

Best wishes. Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD FACS

Web reference: http://www.youtube.com/VillarPlasticSurgery

Multiple procedures at the same time up

+2

If you are young and in good health it might be reasonable to have your up if eyelids, Blepharoplasty, done at the same time. In general the longer the surgery takes the greater chance for complications but these are uncommon.  In these situations I usually use an assistant who can greatly diminish the time for surgery making the addition of other procedures such as an eyelid procedure safe and feasible.

Combined Procedures

+2

Given your age and health status, it is not unreasonable to add your upper eyelids to your procedure.  You should do well since you have good family support. Best wishes!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck, liposuction and possible facial surgery

+2

If you are in good health and do not have any medical contraindications to surgery (and this must be the case as you are already doing the tummy tuck/liposuction), then there is no reason that you should not add the blepharoplasty to your combination procedure.  Talk to your doctor and make sure that your ps feels comfortable in doing so but in my practice, you would have this combination. 

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Combining a upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty with an abdominoplasty

+2

From your description it seems that adding upper and lower eyelid surgery to your abdominoplasty is a reasonable consultation provided you are in good physical condition.  The only consideration would be what type of upper and lower eyelid surgery you need.  

Combination surgery

+2

There is no reason why an upper lid blepharoplasty, which is a very short operation, can't be combined with others.  My rule of thumb is that if it takes more than 5.5 hours, though, this raises the risks.  However, you are 37 years old and, without photos, I honestly can't tell whether you are a candidate for this surgery.  If one of your lids has an overhang, it can be due to a ptotic brow as well so you really have to be evaluated for the etiology before making a surgical plan.

Tummy Tuck and Blepharoplasty Together.

+2

Yes, these can be done together. However, one of the complications of lower blepharoplasty is blindness. This is rarely seen these days since we discovered its etiology. It is due to straining that leads to hemorrhage behind the eyeball that causes pressure on the optic nerve. To prevent this we like our patients to do no straining, lifting or other activities to raise the arterial or venous blood pressure. We also take extra precautions to prevent nausea and constipation, both of which cause straining. Unfortunately, one has to strain a fair amount to get out of bed and move around after an abdominoplasty. For this reason, I would not suggest doing a tummy tuck and lower blepharoplasty at the same time. You can, however, talk to your surgeon about doing so if you are willing to take the risks.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid tuck with tummy tuck

+2

I think most plastic surgeons would feel comfortable doing all these procedures together.  It's more economical and you reduce recovery time when  compared to doing the surgery on separate dayhs. Hope it goes well.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures

+2

Good afternoon!

yes, if your surgeon is comfortable with the idea and appropriate intraoperative and postoperative measures are taken, there is no reason why a blepharoplasty cannot be performed with your other procedures.