I Was 6weeks Post Op and One Night I Pulled on Something and my Right Breast Started to Hurt?

Hurt really bad and got huge!! I then felt a pop, I had to go to ER the pain was so bad. I went to my PS within a day and he was ready to operated but the swelling had gone way down. PS felt i didnt need surgery and we could just watch it...It didn't hurt as bad...it has now been almost 2 wks and it is still really hard and tight. I am just worried as to what is going on, could I have developed a capsular?? Could I have pulled a muscle??

Breast augmentation concerns 6 weeks post-op.

+3

Thanks for your question and description! I agree with Drs. Pousti and Wallach about continuing follow-up with your surgeon, who seems to be on top of things. But let me offer a few observations that might be helpful.

6 weeks post-op is pretty far out for a breast hematoma, and clearly that is what your description of "got huge" sounds like, and why your surgeon was "ready to operate." However, if indeed you had had a bleed, it would have not reabsorbed in just one day. Thus, personal examination by your surgeon was the best way to determine if a re-operation was advisable, and clearly trumps a verbal description.

6 weeks post-op is also a bit early for the development of capsular contracture. Clearly, something happened! Perhaps you had a muscle spasm and a small amount of bleeding. Spasm resolves (minimizing the feeling of "huge" and the pain), but a small amount of blood still remains. This could be the beginning of capsular contracture, particularly if "really hard and tight" persists and is significantly different from your opposite breast.

The only potential intervention for "possible" early capsular contracture is Accolate or Singulair and Vitamin E orally, which can stop and possibly reverse capsular contracture in about half of affected patients. Though this is still considered controversial by many plastic surgeons, I have used this for a couple of years now, and have seen positive results in enough patients to make me a "believer," especially since the science behind blocking leukotriene-induced inflammatory mediators makes sense. (And since there's nothing else to really do but "just watch it.")

You may want to ask your surgeon about this. I believe it won't hurt, and might help, so "Why not?" Best wishes and Happy New Year! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Swelling in breast after breast augmentation

+2

The scenario you describe sounds like it is either a serom or hematoma on the side that hurts and is swollen.  You may benefit in draining this fluid in the operating room.

Tlamage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Swelling Followed by Hardness in Breast Implant Surgery

+2

The swelling may have represented the shift of a fluid collection or the emergence of a small hematoma.  The hematoma going away in one day would be extremely rare, so it is difficult to speculate on what happened.  6 weeks after breast implant surgery is very early to be considering a capsular contracture, and this area may just be slow to resolve from the aforementioned event.  Close surveillance by your plastic surgeon is most appropriate.

Concerns after Breast Augmentation?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. Although it is tempting to speculate, you will find that your plastic surgeon will be your best resource at this point.

Online consultants (without the benefit of direct physical examination) will not be able to provide you with meaningful diagnosis, treatment recommendations, or reassurance.

6 wks after breast augmentation and pain

+2

I think that you did the right thing to see your plastic surgeon. It sounds like he is keeping a watchful eye on you, which is the right thing to do. Follow closely with him.