Can a chin implant be revised after 6 years? (photos)

I had a chin implant (gortex implant that goes on the chin with these little extended pieces that go along the bottom jaw line) 6 years ago and it migrated within weeks of surgery. I had it fixed and supposedly anchored better 1 year later, but it again managed to migrate. Now I have a crooked chin. Is it too late to have it fixed? Also, is there a better approach to achieving a decent chin, since this implant has been so unsuccessful (my chin is receding due to TMJ).

Gortex chin implants

lfinrn10, Gortex can be a bit tricky in that it promotes tissue ingrowth and in my expereince aggressively remodels the outer cortex of the mandible. Your surgeon will need to be ready to deglove the mandible and have a drill avaiable for any reshaping that may be neccessary. Seek someone who has experience with these implants. I'm sure you will do fine but do your research. Good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

11220 Elm Lane #101
Charlotte, NC 28277

Chin implant??

Best to be examined in person to determine if there are any issues with the present in place implant...

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Can a chin implant be revised after 6 years?

Yes, it is absolutely possible to remove the gortex implant.  I use silicone implants which are very well tolerated by patients.  

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

You need to have the gortex removed.  You could place a medpore/porex implant that could be secured to the lower jaw or could have an advancement genioplasty.  It is never to late to have a revision.  Find a surgeon who is well trained and comfortable with chin surgery and TMJ issues.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD, DDS  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

Gore-Tex Chin Implant Revision

Your gore-tex chin implant can be revised 6 years after implantation.  At the time of removal, I would recommend a replacement with a silicone implant.  Silicone is tolerated well by the body and is easy to remove in the future.  

I would highly recommend you obtain your old operative reports from your previous surgeon.  It will help the surgeon removing the gore-tex implant so he will have the proper tools available.  Doctors have to keep your records for 7 years so I would make sure to get them before the 7 year mark.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

6849 Fairview Road
Charlotte, NC 28210

Can chin implant be revised 6 years later?

In most cases, it is possible to revise a chin implant 6 years (or longer) after it is placed.  Personally, I prefer to use solid, silicone implants for the chin and you might try using one of these instead of the goretex implant that has been migrating on you.  It is also possible that a different style or size of implant might fit your face better.  I would discuss all of these choices with your surgeon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

500 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

Remove gortex implant

The implant should be removed. It should be done in  a formal operating room with bone equipment and a drill. My preference is for solid silicone implants. They are easier to revise and remove.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

2045 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30309

The current implant can be removed, and a silicone implant can be placed.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210