Why Would The Skin On The Bride Be Raised and Bumpy?

It has been a week since I got my cast off after my rhinoplasty and it appears that the skin on the top of the bridge is raised. It looks like a hive, in the form of a rectangle going across the nose. It's bumpy as well. What could this be?

Skin Contour Issues Over Bridge

+1

Assuming you had bridge reshaping at the time of your rhinoplasty procedure, this is quite normal - especially this soon out from your surgery. Some of the contour issues you are seeing at this time might be related to the tape that was placed on your bridge at the time of the surgery. It may also be related to impressions from the type of cast that was used to stabilize your nasal bones. Regardless, most rhinoplasty patients will see this type of soft tissue change at this point in the rhinoplasty recovery process. The contour issues should begin to resolve as the week(s) goes on and the swelling begins to subside. In some cases, taping the nasal bridge can be of benefit. However, make sure to check with your rhinoplasty specialist before making any changes in your routine. Happy healing.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumpy skin

+1

This is very normal. The bone area is covered by a membrane called periosteum which is lifted up during the surgery. This membrane frequently causes a thick firm swelling over the bone inthe early postop period. It resolves over the first 6-8 weeks.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Raised and bumpy skin after rhinoplasty cast removal

+1

Dont be alarmed.  This is not uncommon.  Your skin is reacting to the tape or glue that was placed on the bridge to keep the cast in place.  It will typically go away over the next week with a gentle cleanser.

If it is still present after one more week, contact your surgeon.  Best - Dr. Phil

Philip Miller, MD

Raised, bumpy skin on bridge of nose after splint removal--this may be due to the splint itself.

+1

Some rhinoplasty surgeons use a thermoplastic perforated nasal splint material called Aquaplast (I do) and this raised bumpy swelling you note may be nothing more than swelling into these perforations. With the splint gone, this should resolve on its own, probably before you even read this response!

If not, it truly IS early in the healing process, and any concerns are best discussed with your surgeon or his nursing staff. It doesn't sound as if this is a major concern, however, but impossible to say without a physical exam and without knowing what tapes and/or splint materials were used for you! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

One week post rhinoplasty is to early to determine results

+1
One week after rhinoplasty surgery your nose is still swollen and to early to determine any post operative result. The swelling in the nose after rhinoplasty takes time to dissipate and without knowing the exact procedure done it is best to go in and see your surgeon discuss your concerns and hopefully he/she will be able to put your mind at ease. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD