Will Raised Moles Increase the Chance of Developing Keloid Scars? (photo)

I have had three small facial moles removed two years ago using the laser method, I believe. Two of them healed fine with almost no scarring. The slightly raised mole below my bottom lip on my chin resulted in a keloid scar when it healed. I have recently made another appointment to get four more facial moles removed, two of them raised, and one being on my jawline, which I hear is an area that is more prone to keloid scarring. Should I avoid getting the two raised moles removed?

Mole removal

+1

If doing a laser mole removal, I would advice that a biopsy be done prior to this.  Whenever a mole is complete excised, there will always be a scar that will be left behind.  

Keloid scars and moles

+1

Hi there,

Laser mole removal of pigmented lesions is not recommended as pathology can not be checked to exclude any maligancy.  It would be better practice to have at least a biopsy or excision al biopsy of the lesions prior to under going any laser therapy.  Small excisions on the face leave minimal scarring that is usually undetectable.

Getting back to your question I have not seen any evidence of raised facial moles being more prone to keloid scarring.

Keloid scarring usually occurs because of other reasons like infection, slow granulating wounds or contstant irritation and of course genetic predisposition.

Regards

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Maybe doing nothing is better...

+1

always a chance of a scar whenever a mole is removed...they all look so normal and now you've got a scar...probably something known as a hypertrophic scar...not a keloid...and later it's possible you'll get more color/pigment at the sites where the biopsies were done...and as you get older, you'll probably get more spots...if they were on my face, I'd do nothing...in this case the treatment is worse than the "disease"

Ken Landow, MD

Laser mole removal is never appropriate

+1

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon