Raised Mole Removal, Which Procedure is Best, and What Results Should I Expect?

I have a mole between my eyes which used to flat but grew bigger over the years and even started growing hair. I'm wondering what kind of procedure would be best for my situation and what kind of result I should be expecting from it.

Best way to remove a mole...

+1

There is no best way but much of it depends on what kind of scar you are willing to trade removal for.  As mentioned, you can shave it off but this doesn't remove it completely and it can grow back.  You can excised it (recommended if hair grows out of it so you can get the follicle) and closure can be done in a linear manner leaving a line in the skin or purse-string manner where you will usually have a flat circular scar that smoothens out over time.  The purse-string is nice because you are not excising any extra skin and if you really hate the scar, then you can have an elliptical exision and linear closure.  My patients love it for its simplicity and for the result.

A careful cosmetic excision and suture of this mole will give you the best results.

+1

A careful cosmetic excision and suture of this mole will give you the best results.  If you have oily skin this is a risk that the oil will ooze into the wound and delay the healing.  I have seen this phenomenon a few times in the past 20 years.  Usually a careful cosmetic excision of a nevus in this location does very well.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

The Best Way to Remove a Facial Mole

+1

Moles are quickly and easily removed in my office by one of two methods: a shave excision or an excision with suture closure. Because of the size and location of your mole, it should be removed by excising a simple ellipse of skin. I then use a "layer closure" using both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. The area then typically heals with a small. linear scar that is hardly visible.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Removing a raised dark mole will leave a scar but that is better than the ugly mole itself.

+1

If the mole is flesh colored then shaving it flat leaves almost no scarring.  Since your mole is raised and dark, it is better to have it excised and do expect a scar but the scar is better looking than the mole.  A couple of superfical dermabrasions will help fade the scar much better as well. Cost is roughly $350-500 under local.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon