Mole Removal Options?

I have a raised mole on my back that has become irritated and red. I do not have insurance, but want to get it removed. I saw 'do it yourself' kits on the web, don't trust that. How much and where do I go?

Mole removal

+1

I recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist or a board certified plastic surgeon to have the lesion evaluation prior to doing any treatment.

Never remove a mole yourself - go to a dermatologist!!!

+1

The "kits" are caustic chemicals that basically "eat away " the mole and can leave horrible scars.   The appropriate thing to do is to see a dermatologist - the mole will be cleansed with alcohol and numbed with lidocaine.  Usually the mole can be easily removed with a shave excision (like a scrape ) that will heal in 1 week.  The mole should be sent for pathology to verify that the mole is ok The  risk is minimal - there is a possibility of a small scar ,pain of the needle injection  and infection if the site is not cared for properly.   Call a dermatologist  in you area and they should be able to give you  a price range .  It should be very affordable . 

Mary Ann Martinez, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Atlanta- mole removal cost

+1

At our Atlanta facility if you are having one mole removed under local anesthesia the cost could be as low as $300.00 - $500.00 per mole. We would need to see you for a consultation first to determine the severity of your lesion. The range of pricing quoted above is a cosmetic quote only.

See a dermatologist about your changing mole

+1

It is always best to see a dermatologist to evaluate a new or changing growth.  Your "mole" could simply be an irritated mole, but it could also be a dangerous mole, a skin cancer, a wart, or another type of irritated growth.  A dermatologist may recommend a biopsy, or may be able to remove it using non-surgical methods.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Call Around

+1

First, I am absolutely astounded that such kits should exist. The hawkers of such kits should be thrown in jail!

I would call around and find a reputable physician who will remove the lesion and send it off for pathology. You should expect to pay something. I do this for $125, which includes the office visit, procedure and pathology reading by a board certified pathologist. I am sure you might find others who will give you a similar break or maybe even less.

There are also a number of free clinics. In our region each city has one (Chesapeake Care, Beach Health Clinic). These are designed for people who are not on Medicaid and work but do not have insurance. If you utilize one, please thank the doctor and the nurse who assisted the doctor.

I am glad you recognize the folly of using a do it your self kit.

Good luck and get that lesion taken care of.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist