Possible to Remove Raised Mole Without a Scar?

I have a raised black mole between my eyebrows as seen in pic and would like to get it removed without any scarrs left. Please help me. 1. Is it better to contact a plastic surgeon or dermotologist for this kind of moles? I live in Tampa, if you could suggest somebody it would be great. 2. how much does it cost? is it covered under insurance? i have cigna insurance (HMO) 3.Does it heal without any scarrs left? Thanks in advance...

Mole removal

+1

The only way to completely remove the mole is with doing a complete surgical excision.  By doing this, you will be trading in the mole for a scar.  I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

Issues regarding a mole removal between the eyebrows

+1

Any time that you cut something off, you will leave a scar. It is just a matter of how conspicuous or inconspicuous it is. For you, the trade-off will be what you have which is quite apparent even from a distance versus a line which should be less obvious. In most situations, when it is excised with meticulous technique, the trade-off should be worth it.

Typically, it removal is something that you would want to have performed by a plastic surgeon. It has been my experience that most dermatologists prefer sending an individual like yourself to a plastic surgeon.

It is unlikely that your insurance plan will cover this benign lesion though you can call and check.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Mole removal

+1

If removed surgically or with a surgical laser e.g. CO2 you will have a scar. The scar can be hidden in what are known as Relaxed Skin Tension Lines, but it will still be noticeable with close inspection. 

Two other options: 1. is freezing with liquid nitrogen. This shrinks down the pigment cells forming the mole. It may take 2-4 sessions 1 month apart. The mole may still appear as a slightly raised, skin colored bump; but no scar! 2. Q-switched lasers can reduce the darkness of the color but not the elevation. Also, no scar.

With either of these , surgery can later be done if not happy with outcome of treatments.

A Dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon can do the surgical excision.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

No matter who removes it there will be a scar

+1

When ever your skin is cut, there will be a scar.  The best plastic surgeon in the world cannot cut your skin and not leave a scar.   There are two approaches to removing that mole:  shaving it off and excising it.  Shaving it off is a quick procedure, but almost always there is residual mole left behind.  Now that can make the area flatter and your scar will be no bigger than your current mole.  Excision of the mole will remove it in its entirety, but then sutures will be required and you'll be left with a linear scar.

I will comment that most dermatologists I know are more than comfortable working on the face.  Being a specialist in Mohs surgery, most of my training was on the head and neck. 

In regards to cost, this most likely will not be covered by your insurance (unless your doctor suspects skin cancer).  Expect a charge for the excision, the repair, and the pathology fee.  This can run from several hundred dollars to more.

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon

There is NO Scarless Surgery!

+1

Unfortunately, there will always be a scar after removing something.  The hope is that the scar fades over time and is barely visible, but you have to be prepared to have some sort of scar after removal.  Generaaly this is something that a plastic surgeon would do, since most dermatologists are wary about removing lesions from a patients' face.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon