Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck Right Now? (Photos)

I'm a 23y/o, 5'10, 200lb female. I've lost roughly 42lbs with another 40lbs (at least) to go but am currently, for the past 5 months, plateaued. My problem is my large "apron belly" that has started causing pain & discomfort during exercise...running, jumping, etc. I exercise regularly & eat a very well balanced diet. I just want to be able to perform normal activities without discomfort & embarrassment. Should I go ahead with the surgery now or wait?

Steady Weight best for Tummy Tuck

+2

Tummy Tuck after Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss. Once your weight has stabilized for some months that

would be the best time to do a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure.

Abdominoplasty candidates have excess abdominal skin which may sag, a disproportionate

or protruding abdomen, weakened or separated abdominal muscles, or excess fat

concentrated in the abdomen.

From what you have said, it seems like you plan on losing more weight through non-

surgical procedures. In that case, you should wait until you have reached your ideal weight

and after it has stabilized before considering a tummy tuck. Otherwise, you seem to be a

great candidate for this procedure.

Timing of Tummy Tuck!!!

+2

Only you know the timing of tummy tuck.  For an ideal result, you should try to lose more weight.  However, if you have already hit a plateau and can not pass it then maybe you should have the surgery.  You may very well have some further looseness if you lose weight after surgery and that can be dealt with afterward.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for tummy tuck

+1

After looking at your pictures I think you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.You have excess skin and you have a weak abdominal wall which will help with back pain etc.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Tummy Tuck

+1

The answer to your question depends on your expectations.  You have lost 42 lbs. (Bravo!) and are left with quite a bit of loose overhanging abdominal tissue (pannus) that is likely to worsen with additional weight loss.  Based on your photos, a tummy tuck will do a great job removing the extra skin and tissue and will be a great improvement.  Also, once you recover, exercise is likely to be easier since you do not have to carry around the extra skin and tissue.  The advantage of waiting for additional weight loss is that it may allow you to lose intra-abdominal fatty tissue that will allow for the flattest possible abdomen.  Regardless of the timing, you will get a nice result and are to be congratulated for all your weight loss efforts!  Good luck. 

Mark Schwartz, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

You have a considerable amount of loose skin and are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. Although it will be a great improvement, you will not have a flat abdomen and would benefit from continuing to lose weight. Go for it!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

Based on your photos you appear to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck.Most of your issue appears to be the excess loose skin of your lower abdomen, which will respond quite well to a tummy tuck. I would perhaps consider liposuction of the flank (love handle) area as well at the same time.If you are unable to lose any more weight, you should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options in person.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy Tuck Now or Wait?

+1

Since your weight has leveled off, I think now is a reasonable time to consider a tummy tuck.  After you get that apron as you called it off your thighs, you will find it easier to be active and exercise.  This will hopefully lead to further weight loss.  You must be aware; however, that if you go on to lose a lot more weight in the future (50 pounds or so) you may need to have a second tummy tuck.  Good luck. 

Sacha Obaid, MD

Lose Weight or Tummy Tuck

+1

Losing weight to goal is best if possible.  If the area is really causing you problems and preventing you from achieving your goals,  you could get the loose skin removed now at the bottom.  Then after you lost the rest of the weight, this could be converted into a full tummy tuck.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Time for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thanks for posting the question.  If you realistically think you will lose another 40 pounds, then you should lose the weight first without question.  However, if you are not confident that you will lose that weight, and you are done having children, then you can go ahead and consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon and discuss a tummy tuck.  You might wish to consider having liposuction of your flanks at the same time, as a suggestion.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck now or later, after 40 pound weight loss?

+1

I would recommend that you see a plastic surgeon to make arrangements for a procedure down the road, and to get assessed now.

My hesitation is that you want to lose 40#.  I prefer that my patients are at their chosen target weight and that the weight is stable.  Secondly, I prefer that they are finished having children.  You didn't mention your intentions regarding children.

I am curious as to the etiology of your abdominal pain?  Is it a hernia?  Is it the panniculus?  The ps can evaluate and perhaps suggest a panniculectiomy as a reasonable compromise procedure.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD