Will Radix Decrease After Hump Removal? (photo)

I recently had a large bony hump removed. With the hump, my nose looked short and cute. I thought id have the same nose, just without the hump. I had my cast taken off yesterday and my nose seems to look longer. I found out that a high radix can make the nose look longer. Even though the hump is gone, I don't like the profile of my nose because of my high radix. It looks like its coming straight out of my forehead. Will the radix decrease while swelling goes down, making it look a little better?

Too soon to tell

+1

It is far too early after surgery to know what your final result will be!  The early post-op photos that you posted show a good result so far, but you are still swollen.  Give yourself a little more time to heal and you will likely see changes over the next several months.

After Splint Removal and Concerns about Final Results of Rhinoplasty

+1

Very early after rhinoplasty you are so swollen that it is not particularly useful to be concerned about final results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Concern regarding high radix

+1

Your question is a difficult one to answer at this time. Please give it some time and see how your profile morphs during this time. Most likely, it will begin to look better. Regardless, you may want to consider seeing your surgeon and voicing your concerns.

Good luck!

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Hump After Rhinoplasty

+1

What you are describing now could very well be as a result of post-surgical swelling. It's important to be patient over the course of the next several months as you continue to heal. In many cases, it may take up to 2 years before the final result of your rhinoplasty can be seen. Please follow the post-operative instructions as outlined by your facial plastic surgeon to make sure you continue to heal correctly.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Radix and hump removal

+1

You are right in general that removing some radix can make the nose appear smaller or less long. However, the pictures you provided appear to be more swelling related and actually looks good for several days postop. In any event, I would wait at least six months to a year as you should continue to see improvement over that time period.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty post-op

+1

Dear Rugrats91,

• Please wait for the swelling to go down before making any decisions
  • It looks very nice for being so early

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Swelling is very common after rhinoplasty

+1

I think your nose has an over all nice profile; it is very common to have swelling on your nose dorsum and radix area after rhinoplasty with dorsum reduction. Give it time, swelling should subside and the appearance may improve.

Andres Sarraga, MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

High radix?

+1

Your nose looks very nice on profile and more than likely the issues that you are worried about is due to swelling which should get better with time.

Radix reduction after rhinoplasty surgery

+1

It is near impossible to truly evaluate what is going on here without seeing more pictures of you postoperatively and seeing your preop photos as well.  That being said, I am sure that you have swelling with only being 1 day after your splint was removed. Your nose will change in shape and softness over the course of the next year and often patience is a virtue here. Talk about your concerns with your surgeon and if you are still not happy over the next several months, you may want to consider talking to another Plastic Surgeon just to get another opinion. 

Michael A. Epstein, MD