Is 36 Too Young For Radiesse To Smile Lines?

I am 36 and considering to correct my smiling lines.Am I too young?How much would that cost for only those lines?Thank you

30-something Radiesse

+4

That's a great question.  First, everyone is different.  If those smile lines really trouble you, Radiesse is worth looking into.  One great thing about filler is that the syringe is yours.  If you don't need the whole dose all at once, it can be stored in the medical refrigerator and you can come in for touch-ups at no charge.  As you can see on the forum, there are various fillers, including Restylane, and each physician has a treatment of preference.  For me, it would depend upon the depth of those worrisome lines.  Frequently, my patients alternate between Restylane and Radiesse and that's absolutely fine.  I have not had the complications of Radiesse that others on the forum have alluded to.  I recommend to patients that they begin Radiesse treatment with one syringe in order to ascertain their perspectives and to determine which type of filler best suits their individual needs.

Radiesse for smile lines

+2

There really is not an age restriction for treatment with fillers.  It really depends on the depth of the wrinkles.  Radiesse and other fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane are excellent fillers to soften smile lines.  The cost will vary depending on the amount of product needed to correct the lines.  If the wrinkles are not very deep, I would estimate $350-$550 per treatment.

Lori Stetler, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

You are not too young.

+2

Hello Lily75,

If you see lines on your face that you do not like then I would advise that you see a consultant in Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery or Dermatology.  Fillers like Radiesse or hyaluronic acid (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane, etc.) are a quick way to minimize the appearance of lines and wrinkles.  I am an advocate for good skin care and proper nutrition as more long-term strategies to combat the signs of facial aging.  Starting young is smart.  Go see a consultant and find out what options you have.

Warmest regards,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

What age should I start getting facial fillers?

+2

There is no age limit for fillers.  I think 36 is a great opportunity to start because you still have elasticity and tone to your skin which will provide an amazing youthful look.  Radiesse gives you both immediate and long-lasting results, while also restoring the face with a natural, healthy look!

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse vs Juvederm for smile lines in your 30s

+2

Radiesse, Juvederm and Restylane are effective for the treatment of smile lines (Nasolabial folds). However, I prefer Radiesse because of its longevity. One syringe of Radiesse usually would correct this area in someone your age.

Donna Rich, MD

+2

Smile lines, or nasolabial folds, occur in some patients as early as the late 20's/early 30's.  If you're looking to fill these folds out, you might consider Perlane which is smoother, IMHO, than Radiesse and doesn't tend to clump up when smiling.  Be sure to look at the shape of the cheeks as well because the cheek volume controls the rate at which the smile lines form.  Smile lines in the mid 30's is usually an indication the the anterior cheek bone volume is relatively flat.  Shaping the cheeks and filling the smile lines can make the face more youthful and attractive IMO.

Radiesse and Hyaluronic acid fillers

+2

As you can see, there is no consensus on fillers in terms of what is "best" for a given patient. A few facts basically hold true, however:

1. Radiesse predictably lasts longer than hyaluronic acid products.

2. There is a difference of opinion as to whether that is a good thing.

What I mean here is that while Radiesse can be predicted to persist longer than HA products in the tissues when used for correction of nasolabial folds, there have been reports of nodules and other sources of dissatisfaction for patients with Radiesse. HA products can also lead to lumps and unwanted firm areas, but hyaluronidase, the enzyme that breaks up hyaluronic acid, can be injected as somewhat of an "antidote" to HA if an undesirable outcome occurs. There is no such "antidote" for Radiesse, so it is important to go to an experienced injector. I think great care must be paid with the use of long-acting fillers like Radiesse, to avoid a 1-2 year period of dissatisfaction in the event of an unwanted result. Having said that, it probably gives a more thorough correction of the fold per unit dose injected, but caveat emptor.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse vs Fat injections

+2
We see many people in their 30s for treatment of the early signs of facial aging. Fillers are an ideal solution since most 30 year olds are not candidates for a facelift or more aggressive treatments. Another option to consider is fat injections, they last longer and sometimes are less expensive , depending on how large an area you're treating.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

What filler is best for smile lines in your 30s

+2

Both the biostimulators (Radiesse, Sculptra) and hyaluronic acid fillers can be used for smile lines.  Radiesse is FDA approved for smile lines.  It works very well in that area. Care must be taken in injecting the top portion of the smile lines not to compress the artery that runs there, as that can result in damage to the overlying skin of the cheek and nose.  Make sure the doctor injecting you is a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with training and experience in injecting fillers.

You asked if 36 is too young for Radiesse in the smile lines.  I'd like to approach that question by first talking about why smile lines form in the first place.  Usually the wrinkles and folds that show up in the lower 1/3 of the face are due to volume loss in the structures above, in the upper and middle 1/3 of the face.  Those structures may include skin, soft tissue/fat, and sometimes even bone.  That decreases the scaffolding on which the skin is draped resulting in the skin shifting downward to form smile lines, jowls, etc.  So the smile lines are just a symptom of what is going on in the skin, which is volume loss.

So at age 36 it's a perfect time to address this volume loss with a biostimulatior which will get the skin to make more of its own collagen.  Depending on the areas of volume loss, either Radiesse or Sculptra will work well.  Sculptra can be used for global facial revolumization, which will have an effect of decreasing the smile lines as well.

Also, remember that 80% of what we consider aging changes in the skin are caused by sun damage.  In addition to revolumizing the face, please follow a strict program of sun avoidance and protection to reduce the chances of more volume loss.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse for smile lines

+2
Both Radiesse and Juvederm are very good for the "smile lines" (nasolabial folds), and you are not too young for either. Juvederm or Restylane may last 6 months or longer and this way you may be in a better position to acquaint yourself with what fillers do, before going for Radiesse. I like to inject some Radiesse deeply right over the malar bone before I inject it into the nasolabial folds. That way, the folds are slightly less deep before I inject them. Make sure you are being treated by a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist