Can Radiesse Be Injected Without Xylocaine?

Hi. I have gotten Radiesse and want to get some more. My provider mixes the product w/ 4cc of numbing agent, which causes me to blow up!

Can Radiesse be injected into my face w/o the Xylocaine in the mix? I have a HIGH threshold for pain and would prefer not having that blown up look for a week after injection. Thanx

Radiesse and pain

+1

Radiesse injection, if injected gently and slowly, can be a comfortable injection. However, combining Radiesse with lidocaine and utilizing a blunt cannula can reduce discomfort, swelling, and bruising while allowing several areas of the face to be injected with multiple syringes.

Web reference: http://www.northsideplasticsurgery.com/radiesse-atlanta/

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse mixed with Lidocaine

+1

Radiesse can be very painful, so mixing it beforehand with lidocaine definitely takes the edge off. However, it does not have to be mixed with lidocaine depending on your pain threshold. I find that using a really good compounded triple anesthetic cream and allowing the patient to numb for 30 minutes or so prior really helps, but it is not as effective as combining this with Radiesse that is mixed with lidocaine.

I typically mix 0.3 cc of 2% xylocaine with a 1.5 cc syringe of Radiesse and 0.2 cc with a 0.8 cc syringe of Radiesse to provide more patient comfort and allow for greater ease of flow of the product. This small amount should not cause the face to blow up. It seems more probable that the swelling you are referring to is from the trauma sustained from Radiesse itself, as this can certainly happen.

Radiesse can be injected without Xylocaine

+1

All depends on your pain tolerance. For our patients we usually use only a topical numbing creme (which we obtain freshly prepared from our pharmacy for greater effectiveness). Like some of the other doctors, I will mix the radiesse with a small volume of lidocaine to lessen the discomfort. I would say only about 10% of my patients end up receiving a lidocaine numbing shot before the procedure.

Web reference: http://dwkimmd.com/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Painease spray can make Radiesse injections painless without lidocaine

+1

I offer my patients Painease for their Radiesse, Juvederm, Artefill other filler injections, with or without mixing lidocaine/xylocaine with the product. Painease is a cold spray that briefly numbs the skin by freezing it.

Most patients prefer having the lidocaine also but if you are sensitive to it the Painease by itself can make your treatment much more comfortable than going "cold turkey".

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse and Xylocaine

+1

Radiesse when injected without anesthetic would be very uncomfortable. A small amount of Xylocaine, .2 ml, mixed with Radiesse would not cause facial swelling. I wonder if the blown up look you describe might have been tissue trauma from the injection and not related to the Xylocaine at all. Swelling from Xylocaine will absorb away very quickly and not create lasting fullness.

Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, Radiesse can be injected withour Lidocaine

+1

Radiesse can be injected without Lidocaine. However, as others have noted on this topic, Radiesse is frequently pre-mixed with 0.1-0.2 mL of Lidocaine to decrease the viscosity of the product and to make the procedure more comfortable. In addition to this, I use a specially compounded local anesthetic cream for topical anesthesia and 0.5-1 mL of Lidocaine pinpoint injections at the sites of anticipated needle entry to facilitate the procedure.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse can be injected without lidocaine, but it hurts

+1

There is no technical reason to mix lidocaine into Radiesse, but it makes the injection much more comfortable. I don't use 4cc of lidocaine though, so I wonder how many cc's of Radiesse you had.

In general, I use enough lidocaine to thin the Radiesse and provide pain control, but by the time the patient has iced for 10 minutes after the injection, there is minimal volume increase from the amount of local anesthesia I mixed in. Remember too that some patients swell just from having the product injected, so the volume of the local anesthetic may not be the only reason that you were visibly swollen.

Ultimately, you should be able to discuss your concerns with any physician you are considering allowing to do these injections. Make sure it is someone with good training and a lot of experience, they should be fine addressing these questions with you.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse without xylocaine

+1

Certainly Radiesse can be injected without adding local anesthetic. I find, however, that adding a mere 0.1 cc volume of lidocaine (which does not significantly increase the total volume of the syringe) to the filler prior to injection significantly reduces the discomfort of the procedure.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Radiesse without anesthetic

+1

Yes, Radiesse can be injected without having mixed it with anesthetic. When we did that years ago, we found patients often had significant burning type of pain one or two minutes after the procedure...a delayed onset. It is so much more comfortable with the anesthetic mixed in, but if you allergic to it, which is very very rare, then yes, you can have it plain.

Radiesse without lidocaine can hurt

+1

Radiesse can be injected without lidocaine, however using even a little bit 0.5 cc 0r 0.25 cc of 1 or 2 % lidocaine can make the experience more comfortable.  Radiesse like any other filler will cause some immediate swelling.  You could try another product such as Juvederm or Restylane as well.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon